Noob to meads, have a couple years to kill, need a good recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
SO, my "first EVAR" mead was brewed in Jan, and I got in way over my head. I think we pulled it out of the nose-dive with much help (and thanks) to LoveofRose.

I have a batch of BOMM cooking right now (thanks again, LOR), about 30 days in. I've been eyeing up Yooper's JOAM recipe, will probably pull the trigger on that one soon, too!

The real reason for my post: my wife starts a graduate program in two weeks, and it's a two year program. My thought was to brew one or two small batches of longer-aging (from a beer-brewer's point of view) hooch on her first day of class, with the intent of sharing the results at her graduation party in two years. I am going to do a couple gallons of Yooper's Banana Wine. ALSO, since I know I have a couple years to let it age, I thought I'd bang out a couple gallons of mead.

I could just do a BOMM or JOAM and let it sit for two years, but... anyone have any other suggestions for a fun, yet not terribly complex (I AM a noob after all) mead? Where the BOMM and JOAM hang their hats on short turnaround, I know I have 24 months to kill. So... I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks in advance;

Ike

A single varietal honey, maybe her favorite honey? Find the very best honey you can afford & make a no holds barred, no expense spared mead with it. I think Acacia (AKA Locust or Black Locust) honey is one of the best I've ever tasted. Some think Tupelo or Orange Blossom is the best; there are many varietals to choose from.

Roughly 3 lbs per gallon, filtered water, staggered nutrient additions, appropriate yeast, good temp control for both fermentation & aging, strict sanitation, and a nice label on the bottles, maybe wax over the cork/neck & a nice set of crystal glasses to serve in. And make at least a 3 gallon batch so you can tuck a couple bottles away for a few more years.
Regards, GF.

I agree with Gratus F that acacia, orange blossom and tupelo make wonderful meads. You might also consider making a melomel by adding blackcurrent or cherry or elderberry (Vintner's Harvest produce cans of juice aimed at wine makers - a can properly diluted will make 3 gallons).

But that said, IMO it is a complete myth that meads take years to age. The reason they take years to age is due to poor fermentation processes and techniques. True, mead - like almost every wine - improves with age, but if you take care of the yeast (aerate, feed, ferment at low temperatures and use a non aggressive yeast) you can have a very drinkable mead in a few months - In other words, you have plenty of time to experiment and improve your wine making technique...

Back