Quantcast

Noob Question!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

accroul

Reaction score
I've just siphoned my cider to secondary this morning & in the process of avoiding the lees, have lost about 2 cups(maybe more) of cider. Given the extra headspace in my carboy, should I top it up with something? I have some AJ in the freezer (left over from my Juice extraction 8 weeks ago), I realise the using this will likely restart fermentation, but will it really matter when I'm not looking at drinking this until closer to Christmas?
Also, should I have added a Campden tablet to my secondary?

Tusch

Reaction score
Don't worry about the Campden, I know Yooper recommends one per gallon every other racking. You should top off with something though, either water, juice whatever.

Snuffalupagus

Reaction score
Don't worry about the Campden, I know Yooper recommends one per gallon every other racking. You should top off with something though, either water, juice whatever.
+1 on that

I'd lean to the juice myself, a pint isn't really going to restart much of a fermentation, it'll definitely be ready by this november/december.

Tusch

Reaction score
Yeah, I've just used more juice in the past, it won't create much more lees to deal with. But in future batches, try starting with a primary larger than your secondary, like do a 5.5 gal primary, so you can top off fully. And you can always top off secondary completely and then fill a 1/2 gal growler so that when you rack a second time you can top off with more already fermented brew.

OP
A

accroul

Reaction score
Should I treat my Frozen AJ with Campden then?
Tusch - I only have 1G carboys! I'm a really smalltime Noob!

Tusch

Reaction score
No worries, I currently have 5 1 gal's on top of a few big boys. I personally have started using my 5 gal food safe bucket for primaries. No it isn't a brew bucket, but it is recycling code 1, which is important and I bought, drilled and added a spigot to it as it is also my bottling bucket. That was I can do 1 and a 1/4 or 1/2 gal primaries so I end up with a full gallon secondary and some left over to ummm test.