Noob question; recipe breakdown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jett78

Reaction score
I understand the (70min), (10min) etc... but I want to be certain on the first three ingredients, on the exact procedure. (I realize this is a 10gal recipe)

Can someone break it down for me? I always see recipes in this format and I have only done a few with step by step checklists.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Pearle [6.30%] (70 min)
2.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (5 min)
American Yeast (I used Wyeast #1056)
Mash at 154 degrees (F) for 65 minutes. Batch Sparge at 170 degrees for a pre boil volume of 12 gallons.

I understand the (70min), (10min) etc... but I want to be certain on the first three ingredients, on the exact procedure. (I realize this is a 10gal recipe)

Can someone break it down for me? I always see recipes in this format and I have only done a few with step by step checklists.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Pearle [6.30%] (70 min)
2.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.00%] (5 min)
American Yeast (I used Wyeast #1056)
Mash at 154 degrees (F) for 65 minutes. Batch Sparge at 170 degrees for a pre boil volume of 12 gallons.

You can mash those grains all together, and follow the mash schedule at the bottom.

The hopping is the boil time for each addition.

From your other couple of posts I'd guess you're an extract brewer, is that correct? With that said, did you catch that this is an all grain recipe? If so, I apologize for pointing out the otherwise obvious.

that's an all-grain recipe; you'd mash the first 3 ingredients listed (per the instructions), then sparge as directed and boil, adding the hops at the times indicated.

the SRM stuff is basically a measure of how much color that particular grain will add to a recipe

the exact step-by-step list would depend on your process, but basically you'd

heat some water, add the grains (the first 3 ingredients) (and you'd have calculated the proper temperature to heat that water to so that when you added the grains, the mixture would be at 154 F);
hold that temp for 65 mins;
drain off the wort;
sparge(rinse) (with water at the temperature calculated to make the water/grain mix 170 F, and the proper amount calculated to give you 12 gallons total;
boil, etc

the all-grain section of How To Brew is probably a good place to start for some background reading

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Brewing Your First All-Grain Beer

I didn't realize that you were questioning the exact "how-to", sorry about that. I thought you were asking about the mash schedule, which is on the bottom.

Do you brew AG, or do you need this converted to extract? We can help you either way.

From your other couple of posts I'd guess you're an extract brewer, is that correct? With that said, did you catch that this is an all grain recipe? If so, I apologize for pointing out the otherwise obvious.

Well, I'm gonna even get more "noob" on you right now.

The American Ale I did, was a kit from a local brew store, which is Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies | MoreBeer. Which I started with a grain bag, then added the extract after bringing to 170 and removing the grain bag, which now I am assuming is what makes it an extract brew, as opposed to all-grain? So, that means the recipe above is all grain and what I have done were extract?

If that's the case, this just made a whole lot more sense.

So, is all grain much better? I believe it is more advanced.

Either way, I'm having a great time in this new hobby and I knew you guys would be of great help.

Bottoms up.

Back