Noob question on first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglips31

Reaction score
Im doing a midwest Irish Pale Ale as my first brew batch.

I am getting ready to add my cascade 1oz hops for 60 minutes and
then adding the fuggle 1oz for the last two minutes. I am reusing my
bad to add the hops. Do I leave the hops in the fermenter? Kinda
confused on this since the directions say I can add them to the pot
or use a bag to keep the sediment out of the fermenter.

Thanks,

Currently brewing.. :ban:

I never use a hop bag, it will be fine. Just toss them in. By the time you have it cooled they will have settled to the bottom. If you are siponing just try and keep them and the cold break (the other crap on the bottom after cooling) out of the fermenter, But they are not going to hurt anything.

The Midwest is a region in the US. It's a group of like five or six states (I think Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin). It's not in Ireland.

Where is midwest Ireland?

Midwest Supplies is a home brew shop that has their own line of kits. I believe he was making a Midwest Supplies Irish Stout kit.

As for your hops. Most people let them float freely in the kettle during the boil. Then after cooling you can rack the wort off of the hop trub in the kettle, strain the wort to remove the hops as you move it to the fermenter, or just dump them in the fermenter. You can also use a large strain bag to contain the hops in the kettle though this may reduce utilization somewhat.

Every method works. I like to keep the hops out of the fermenter so I use a jumbo strain bag to line the fermenter bucket. Then after pouring the wort in I remove the strain bag taking the hops with it.

Craig

Midwest Supplies is a home brew shop that has their own line of kits. I believe he was making a Midwest Supplies Irish Stout kit.

As for your hops. Most people let them float freely in the kettle during the boil. Then after cooling you can rack the wort off of the hop trub in the kettle, strain the wort to remove the hops as you move it to the fermenter, or just dump them in the fermenter. You can also use a large strain bag to contain the hops in the kettle though this may reduce utilization somewhat.

Every method works. I like to keep the hops out of the fermenter so I use a jumbo strain bag to line the fermenter bucket. Then after pouring the wort in I remove the strain bag taking the hops with it.

Craig

Yep guys...

Sorry midwest supplies was just the kit I used. I ended up doing it just as CBBaron has mentioned.

Back