NooB question about hop pellets.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormtracker

Reaction score
Is it customary to put your hops in a mesh bag? Im doing the pellets. I have done mesh bag whole hops on my last one.. I wonder if it will make a difference and lessen the amount of crap in the beer by putting the pellets in a mesh bag..

Silly question Im sure.. Any help appreciated.

ST

I hope not... I brewed my first batch last night and I just dumped them straight in...

Some do, some don't. I never use hops bags and just strain my wort after it cools. I whirlpool it a little first, so that the crud settles in the middle and then I siphon from the edge. Then when it's light enough for me to pick up, then I pour it through a mesh (sanitized!) strainer. I would say that just as many people use the hops bags as don't though.

If you use them, make sure you don't pack them tightly. You want to use a bigger sack and have them loosely floating around so you have good utilization.

Yuoll be ok.. i did soem abbey ale where i just threw the pellets in. I was just wondering if others have found a better way through experience.

:mug:

Ugh, I didn't strain it either :(

Guess I'll get a bag for next time... Will the junk I have in my beer right now settle, or do the hop bits float?

Crap!

The bag reduces hop sludge in the trub a bit and can decrease bittering (though not enough to care) a bit. As far as your beer goes it really won't impact the final product. I have done it both ways, and with the hopstopper I stopped using bags except for dry hopping (but then again I rarely use pellets anymore either).

The hop sludge will settle out, don't worry if you didn't strain.

stormtracker said:
Is it customary to put your hops in a mesh bag?
A lot of people do, but it's certainly not mandatory. I use this style of hop bag, made very inexpensively from a paint strainer and a bit of PVC and hardware. It keeps most of the hop sludge out of the kettle, and therefore the primary as well. Do a search, there is a thread all about making them.

9557-hopbag.jpg

If you're using a secondary there is no need for it. Don't waste your money or time. It's something that people always buy starting out...until they realize there's no need for them. If you're going through a plate chiller or counterflow it might be worth your while cleaning-wise. But since you're asking this...I'm assuming you're not. Have fun and happy brewing!

Brett0424 said:
It's something that people always buy starting out...until they realize there's no need for them.
I'm not so sure about that...I'd made probably 60 or so batches in my life before it even occurred to me!

Personally, I like to keep trub and hop sludge out of the primary, especially because I use spigots on most of my buckets and want the trubline as low as possible. My last six beers are certainly better because of it, and the cost is trivial. A single $1.75 paint strainer can be used dozens of times, at least.

So no, hop bags or strainers certainly aren't necessary. That doesn't mean they aren't useful.

stormtracker said:
I wonder if it will make a difference and lessen the amount of crap in the beer by putting the pellets in a mesh bag.

I've NEVER used a hop bag for any kind of hops.

I've never strained either. I avoid dumping all the hop sludge into primary, but if some goes in, who cares.

2nd_Kolsch004.jpg

See any floaties? Does it look cloudy?

Both concerned posters in this thread are gonna be just fine.

It occurred to me with my first...I put the pellets in and they s-p-r-e-a-d out. ;) But, I didn't strain, RDWHA(store-bought, then)B, and it turned out very clear and very pretty. Tasty, too. I'm +1 for not worrying about the bags.

I don't know why clarity is even part of the discussion for bagging or not in the kettle....transferring debris out of your primary is more a result of poor racking technique or transferring before the matter settles.

From my POV I haven't noticed a utilization difference between bagging and not bagging, granted my kettle bag has plenty of surface area and keeps the hops from clumping too tight. Bagging does reduce the kettle trub.

I have used a hop bag for all my brews and have no desire not to. It eliminates any straining with extract brewing. Cost is NOT an issue, as the bags are like 49 cents. I suggest you try it both ways and see what you prefer.

this is another one of those matter of opinion type deals. we usually strain our beers when we brew. but we also have not stained some. in the end as long as your happy with what you brew does it matter? happy brewing and drinking :mug:

Back