Noob question about corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestrotee

Reaction score
I am making a Munton's Connoisseurs Export Stout kit. The instructions say to add 2.2 lbs of sugar to the mix. I have corn sugar. Is it equivalent in weight to what that recipe calls for with regular sugar. That's a TON of corn sugar if so. Should I just use the regular sugar as called for? Also, I have some random flavors. What works and what wouldn't for this beer in regards to the following: juniper berries, corriander seeds, cinnamon sticks, sweet orange peel? I would just boil it for about 10 minutes. This recipe doesn't even call for a boil, but I would for some extra flavor. Thanks!

use the corn suger. Table sugar makes it taste like hell. 2.2 lbs is the right amount for those kits if you're making a 5 gal batch. A lot of people add DME to it also/or instead of corn sugar as those kits are kinda flavorless.

Some say table sugar makes it taste cidery, but I've seen disagreement on it. Corn sugar is always a safe bet.
If you want to add some flavor to the beer (and I don't know that you need to), cinnamon would be my choice from what you listed. For a stout, anything that's good in coffee could work. Always err on the side of too little extra flavor, as you can't take it out once it's been added.

I thought I read somewhere that it's not a '1 for 1' swap when it comes to corn sugar vs cane (table) sugar. I want to say it's .96 lb of corn sugar for every 1.0 lb of cane sugar...

Thanks for your responses. I suppose I should stick with the corn sugar. Only problem is that I think I only have about 1.5 lbs of corn sugar. Could I supplement with regular sugar if need be?

If you use sufficient quantities of either corn or cane sugar you will get a cidery taste. I used to use corn sugar for the longest time, believing it was better, but I now use regular table sugar (sometimes brown) and do not notice any difference in recipes. I don't use 2.2 lbs in a batch either.

I would limit the sugar to about 0.5 lbs, and replace the rest with Malt Extract.

1 lb of DME = 1 lb of cane sugar (for the same SG).
1.25 lbs LME = 1 lb of cane sugar.
1.25 lbs corn sugar = 1 lb of cane sugar.

Back