noob kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duker

Reaction score
I will be be droppping my brew in a keg this week, so I have couple of questions...

1. Force carbonation, I hear to hit the keg with 60 psi let sit for a day, hit with 20 psi, rock it then let it sit for 2 days. Do I bleed the pressure in between (don't laugh) :cross:

2. Whats a good pressure to pour, I hear 8-10 psi

Holy smokes 60 psi is high!

I'm no expert, but maybe try 30 psi, rock it a little, and then let it sit overnight. It should be fine. I know some do it in 30 minutes but I'm afraid it'll be foamy.

Purge the pressure before you serve, if you're going to force carb that high. Otherwise, set it at serving pressure and walk away for one week, and it'll be carbed then.

I have 6 ft of beer line, and I like to serve at about 8-10 psi. There are charts that can help you balance your lines. Most people like longer lines, but I have picnic (cobra) taps, so I don't have tons of room in my fridge for them. There are some great FAQs at the top of this forum that really helped me when I started kegging.

duker said:
1. Force carbonation, I hear to hit the keg with 60 psi let sit for a day, hit with 20 psi, rock it then let it sit for 2 days. Do I bleed the pressure in between (don't laugh) :cross:

Yooper is right, 60 is a little too high. Here's what you do: crash cool in carboy/pail 2 days prior to carbing. Rack from carboy/pail into keg, seal up (use keg lube or you can use vasaline in a pinch). Hook it up to the gas at 30psi, until it's pressurized, take it off the gas. Rock and/or roll the keg for about 5-10 min. Hit with the gas again (you'll hear it fill again, that means that CO2 is going into solution). Repeat. Hook it up to the gas at 15psi and set it in the fridge overnight. You'll have beer the next day. If that's not soon enough, keep pressurizing it at 30psi and rocking it 3-4 times. Hook it up to the gas at 30 and let it sit for about 30 min.

duker said:
2. Whats a good pressure to pour, I hear 8-10 psi
I shoot for 6 psi, but it really depends on the lenght of your beverage line. With 5ft of bev. line, 6 psi seems to work the best.

Thanks for the help!!, my lines are 6 ft. so I will start at 8 psi and adjust from there.

Thanks again and CHEERS!!

Back