Noob here, nothing but foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwb1977

Reaction score
So, I wanted to get into having my own sodas on tap, specifically Sprechers Cream Soda and Big Red, so I took the plunge and purchased this keg kit from Beverage Elements

https://beveragelements.com/beverag...l-lock-keg-5-lb-co2-cylinder-all-accessories/

I cleaned the keg with OxiClean, then sanitized with Starsan and combined my water/soda syrup, put it on the gas and stuck it in the fridge a few days ago. I have the gas set to 35psi and things seemed to be fine. But since trying to taste the soda, I've noticed a couple problems. First off, the supplied picnic faucet will not handle 35psi. Soda leaks out at a decent rate unless I vent the pressure and turn the psi down on the CO2. And second, no matter what pressure I set the gas at, I get mostly foam when I pour. Even if I vent all the headspace gas and pour at 10psi, it's just mostly foam with flat soda.

So, I'm thinking my 10' beer line is just too short, even with trying to pour at a low psi? Everything stays at a constant 32 degrees, so the temp is good. I have tried pouring at many different pressures, but it's just all foam and flat soda. So, I am in need of some suggestions, hehe :mug:

Yes, in general you want 1 foot of line (3/16" line) for every psi on your regulator. It sounds like you've got a perfect set up for beer, which would be at 10 psi.

The other issue is the picnic tap- they do leak under high pressure fairly often. I had them for a while, and I had a couple that didn't leak on my soda lines so I used those but did not trust them totally. I now have faucets out the door for my beer, and I used to use them for soda too. (I haven't done soda in a long time, since my kids grew up and I gave up sugar- but I still remember the basics!)

Yeah, so the flow control compensator didn't work at all. All that comes out now is pure foam, almost the consistency of an icee drink at a movie theater. My last resort is to bite the bullet and order about 40 feet of line and hope that works out. Don't know what else to try if it doesn't.

Why are you setting it at 35 psi? Just because soda should be super carbonated?

Yeah, pretty much. I do like my soda to have a nice carbonated bite to it. But even if I lower the pressure to 20 and vent the head gas, it still dispenses as foam. If I pop the top of the keg and ladle some soda out and taste it, it's perfect. I just need to figure out how to get it out via a tap, hehe. Does anyone else keg soda at lower psi?

Here is a carbonation chart. Many soda makers like 3.5 to 4 volumes. 4 volumes would be 25psi at 35f. I use 12 feet of 3/16 tubing at 12 psi and 40f for beer (2.5 volumes). I think you will probably need at least 25 feet of tubing to dispense at this pressure. Also not sure I would trust a picnic tap at that pressure.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Dispenses like an Icee drink? Well that makes sense as you are trying to dispense at 32f...freezing.

Yeah, I don't really have a choice at the moment as far as the picnic tap goes. But I do keep the fridge right at 32f. But liquids do not freeze. I have a glass of water with a thermometer in it to monitor temperatures. Is it possible that it is still too cold to dispense soda without it becoming thick foam?

Yeah, I don't really have a choice at the moment as far as the picnic tap goes. But I do keep the fridge right at 32f. But liquids do not freeze. I have a glass of water with a thermometer in it to monitor temperatures. Is it possible that it is still too cold to dispense soda without it becoming thick foam?

No, if it's frozen or slushy that is an issue. But water does freeze at 32 degrees- so check your thermometer.

Thermometer is still right at 32 degrees. 32.2 to be exact. So, new plan. I'm going to vent all the gas for a couple days, and raise the temp to 37 degrees. Then recarb the soda that's left in the keg at 25psi and see how that goes.

Quick update. Got 50' of tubing in today. I have been bleeding off CO2 for the past two days in the keg. Turned the gas back on about an hour ago and set it to 25psi and hooked up 31' of line to my picnic faucet. First couple of pours were spotty, but now, I've gotten 3 perfect pours in a glass :) Carbonation is just a tad low, but that should fix itself in a couple days. But I'm happy with it. I have about 3 gallons of Big Red left in the keg that should be a pleasure to drink :rockin: Guess I just needed a longer line.

Back