Noob Here - 1st batch 3 weeks in Bottles, A-OK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danok1

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a couple of months, and decided to "come out of the shadows."

Brewed an extract kit (Brewmasters's Select English Pale Ale) on Dec. 30. read a bunch of stuff on here, and the "brew day" went smoothly. Prinmary for 2 weeks, then secondary for two weeks (I know the differing opinions on the need for a secondary. I wanted to see if it made a difference in the clarity; there was none that I could see).

Bottled it up, then tried one after a week. No carbonation. Just a slight feel of "fizz" on the tongue. Tried one a week later. Very slight head, if you could call it that. Really more of a few bubbles on the surface.

Convinced I messed something up, I read the threads on bottling and carbonation. Revvy and others kept telling noobs "3 weeks at 70 degrees, minimum." Okay, I'll wait one more week.

Tried one this weekend (3 weeks). A nice head, and some light carbonation visible in the glass! Woo-hoo! Now I know the beer's okay, and will just get better. Very drinkable as well! This community rocks!

I bought a second recipe kit from Brewmaster's Select, a "Tea Party Lager" (clone of Sam Adams). Since SWMBO has banished the fermentation to the garage, I plan on using WLP810 San Fran Lager yeast (too cool in the garage for ale yeast, 58 degrees or so, and I don't have the ability right now to really cool the beer much lower than that). Will this be a problem? Or willit just be a bit "different" than a "true" SA clone?

Thanks, and did I say this community rocks?

-Danok

I apologize for the length of this letter. I did not have time to make it shorter. - Pascal

I've been lurking here for a couple of months, and decided to "come out of the shadows."

Brewed an extract kit (Brewmasters's Select English Pale Ale) on Dec. 30. read a bunch of stuff on here, and the "brew day" went smoothly. Prinmary for 2 weeks, then secondary for two weeks (I know the differing opinions on the need for a secondary. I wanted to see if it made a difference in the clarity; there was none that I could see).

Bottled it up, then tried one after a week. No carbonation. Just a slight feel of "fizz" on the tongue. Tried one a week later. Very slight head, if you could call it that. Really more of a few bubbles on the surface.

Convinced I messed something up, I read the threads on bottling and carbonation. Revvy and others kept telling noobs "3 weeks at 70 degrees, minimum." Okay, I'll wait one more week.

Tried one this weekend (3 weeks). A nice head, and some light carbonation visible in the glass! Woo-hoo! Now I know the beer's okay, and will just get better. Very drinkable as well! This community rocks!

I bought a second recipe kit from Brewmaster's Select, a "Tea Party Lager" (clone of Sam Adams). Since SWMBO has banished the fermentation to the garage, I plan on using WLP810 San Fran Lager yeast (too cool in the garage for ale yeast, 58 degrees or so, and I don't have the ability right now to really cool the beer much lower than that). Will this be a problem? Or willit just be a bit "different" than a "true" SA clone?

Thanks, and did I say this community rocks?

-Danok

I apologize for the length of this letter. I did not have time to make it shorter. - Pascal

It will likely be a little different but it will still be close.

If you want to do an ale in the garage, Nottingham yeast is supposed to work fine all the way down to 55 degrees. If you think that it is still too cool, read about "swamp cooler" and do the reverse. Use some warm water in a tub to get your fermenter to the correct temperature. Some people have added an aquarium heater to help keep the temperature where it should be.

Good to hear Danock, I too brewed my first brew which happened to be a Fullers ESB clone. Just like you, mine had zero carbonation after 1 week.
I'm in week 2 now and will check again at the 2 week mark to see how it's coming along.

I really need to brew another batch to keep myself busy and get my mind off this batch.

Pelican521: I suggest you skip the 2-week check. Check at 3 weeks. As others have stated on other threads, you won't waste a beer that's not ready.

RM-MN: I thought about that, but decided to try the San Fran Yeast. Based on the long-range forecast, I should be okay. I know I'll end up with more of a "CA Common" style. And I'm okay with that. :)

-Dan

Here's the beer with a couple more weeks:

image-911207576.jpg

It is quite nice!

-Dan

Thanks HBD! It goes down nice and easy!

Like your blog, BTW!

-Dan

Dadshomebrew

Sorry for the mix up! And thanks again!

-Dan

Back