Noob final gravity reading questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

covered95

Reaction score
I forgot to take my final gravity reading before I kegged my amber ale. can I simply pour a beer from the tap and take a reading (obviously correcting for temp) or will the carbonation and/or any other factors mess up my reading? This is the reading I would use to determine my ABV.

Jesse17 said:
The carbonation would mess it up I think. You could pour a sample, and let it go flat for a day or so, not to mention warm up, then take your reading.

That's correct, at first the co2 bubbles will elevate the hydrometer to make it look as though the gravity is much higher.

got it, thanks.

Can't believe i actually forgot to do this. I am not that much of a noob, but still making noob mistakes.

If you don't want to wait you could always pour some between 2 containers and/or swirl heavily to "flatten" the beer. Don't wirry about missing the reading. 1. Ask us how we know these tricks! 2. Not knowing the exact ABV isn't too big of a deal, right?

Back