Noob Cider Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerHunter1

Reaction score
Hey guys, just going to give a quick rundown of what I am planning to do and let me know if it would work or what I should change.

I have bought 15L of apple juice (No sugar adder. 3 gallons I believe.)
I was going to put it all in my fermenting vessel with my cider yeast I have bought. I will allow to ferment for 4 weeks (Is this time sufficient?)
Once I have done primary fermentation I am going to add a mango concentrate ''cordial'' to the mix and bottle.
I am unsure how long to allow fermentation at this point to get a semi sweet mango cider but not get something too dry or bottle bombs.
At the right time I would then pasteurize, boiling water at 160 degrees Fahrenheit then putting the bottle in for 10 min to kill the yeast. The secondary fermentation is to allow for carbonization as well as flavor so any suggestions for the amount of time to do the secondary fermentation or if it would work would be great. Thanks guys. I also have a mixed berry concentrate cordial to try with the cider.

All advice is welcome as this is my first ever attempt at cider.
Hunter.

Check the labels of your concentrate carefully - if they contain preservatives like potassium sorbate or sulfites you won't be able to get carbonation.

Sounds about right, you might want to add some yeast nutrient to the ingredient list.

For the pasteurization procedure and knowing when to bottle I would reference you to this post from the stickies to review:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2322948&postcount=80

From the sounds of it you're trying to ferment the cider dry at first, then add some of that mango concentrate to both sweeten it and provide sugar for carbonation, but then you intend to pasteurize before it can all be consumed to leave some sweetness behind?

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I am brewing it in south Africa so the support and beer clubs doesn't seem to have kicked in yet also ingredients are limited.

@Maylar I have already bought the concentrates so I hope I got the right ones, will check when I get home if it doesn't have those ingredients in, I never realized they would effect carbonization.

@Fuelish As for the boiling water, it seems the Fahrenheit to Celsius bug has struck again haha or that's what I am going to blame it on anyway :p

@BeeDeeEff Thanks for that info. You are correct, I am adding the concentrate and pasteurizing to eliminate the need for carbonization drops as well as trying to get the beer at a semi sweet level without getting too dry.

Latest posts

Back