Noob Bottle Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmuir

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been lurking for a few weeks and gathered a ton of great info. I bought a kit las Friday and brewed a batch of American Cream Ale on Friday. It didi not start to bubb after 24 hours so the store said to try their yeast and it took off like crazy after 3 hours.

Myt question is on bottles. I was told not to use twist offs so I stopped at the dist and bought a case of Blue Moon ..Honey Moon and was assured it was not a twisty....it is. I capped one and it did not crush the neck, is it ok to cap twistys? The bars are not allowed to save bottles per the LCB so I must buy for $14.00 per case new from the store or try and get from the dist.

Just looking for some real world experiance.

Thanks,Matt

What kind of capper do you have? A bench or wing capper? A bench capper is more effective with twist-offs, but people do have success with a wing capper on occasion. Depends a lot on the actual bottles, capper, and pressure used. Keep in mind that in some cases even though it may seem like you're getting a good seal, if you're trying to be careful and not crush a neck you may end up not sealing the beer properly. So, just a word of caution.

They may work for the time being, but I'd start scouring craigslist or the classifieds here for free or really cheap bottles. Once people go to kegging they often give their bottles away and that's the best way to stock up.

The bars are not allowed to save bottles per the LCB

Thanks,Matt

Woah, really? Is NJ an ABC state? That is a nutso open-container and on-premises consumption reg.

Just do it under the guise of a recycler. Or go door to door in your 'hood and you should pick up a bunch.

triethylborane, I live in Pa not NJ, sorry. Maru, I have a wing capper, was talked out of a bench top @ the local brew store said it was not needed. If I can gap with soda and give a good shake with no leakes is ok for twistys or should I just pitch and buy new bottles. 4 cases of new bottles is like 3 kits of beer. You know what I would rather spend my money on. :)

PET bottles. A lot of times I throw the bulk of the batch in 2 liters. I also keep my brews about 4% abv and make sure to drink it within 24 hours after opening.

What constitutes as saving? They're being recycled.

I used Yeungling bottles for my last batch - I thought it was a great idea because it's a tasty not-so-expensive non-twisty-cap beer. However, two of the necks cracked when I capped them, which makes me think the glass is quite thin. I wasn't strong-arming it either. I haven't tasted from them yet, but I'm unsure if I'll use them again.

It funny, when I was in school Yeungling and Rolling Rock were the cheap party beer that you always had at keggers. Then in the 90's they became cool and the price went through the roof. Called them Green Grenades and Ying Yang ..or just moose p**s. Next thing you know Iron City will be called a Micro Brew.

Thanks for the replys
Matt

I'd suggest throwing up and ad on craiglist looking for bottles, I'm sure you can get tons free/cheap. You can do the same thing on facebook if you have an account there. I've had friends save me cases and cases of bottles after I asked for them to save me any brown, non-twist off bottles they had.

Back