non-rinse sanitizer eliminates head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardedbrew

Reaction score
:confused: I just cracked my first beer of my first batch! Whoo-Hoo! It tasted excellent and has good color, good flavor... but one thing it did lack was a nice foamy head. There was not a trace of any head on that beer! The only thing I can think of that may have caused this problem would be my non-rinse sanitizing agent I used. It said in big caps "DO NOT RINSE", so what do I do? I don't rinse. By not rinsing the sanitizer out, it left a foamy residue in everything. I have two more batches going right now and I plan to rinse the bottles out thoughouly after sanitizing. Has anyone experienced this same problem with a non-rinse sanitzer?

I have never rinsed my "no rinse" santizer and had no problem. How long have they been in bottles? Maybe they aren't carbed enough yet?!?

Be careful about rinsing after the "no rinse" santizer, as the point is to sanitize and if you rinse with water, you might introduce contaminants right back into the bottle...

I have a couple of things in mind to try. The first is to rinse your glass very well with hot water- especially if it's been washed in the dishwasher. Jet-dry and other rinse agents in the dishwasher are notorious for killing head. I recommend cleaning your bar glasses by hand, rinsing well.

The other things are- how long have they been bottled? the beer might just be young. Good head will come about 3-4 weeks after bottling, usually. Also, if it's been a month since you bottled, you might not have used ingredients in the recipe that would help with head retention. If it's been a month, and you're using clean glasses with no detergent film, then post your recipe and we can see if that's a problem.

And congrats on the good tasting beer! :ban:

dunno if you're talking about Star San or not, but its never killed my beer head.

Back