Non-brewing applications for brewing equipment and supplies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So many times I look at ordinary household goods and try to think of ways to adapt them to brewing applications. But sometimes, I do the reverse, and find uses for my brewing gear for non-brewing needs. Here are a few I've tried:

Brew kettle and propane burner: I have done a few crab leg boils, and one really huge pot of chili for a large gathering. I'm guessing many of us have done this.

Starsan: Being out of bathroom tile cleaner one day, I tried some Starsan solution in a spray bottle to cut through the soap scum and scale on the tile walls and glass door of my shower. Sprayed it on, came back 30 minutes later and rinsed it off. Worked great.

What other applications have you found for your brewing equipment, supplies, etc?

My brewroom doubles as our canning room...... a recent batch of 15 quarts of bloody mary mix using our own tomato's, horseradish, onions, etc....
Wife probably uses the room/brew kettle 15-20 times a year for canning.

bm .jpg

We also can with a brew kettle.
I boil down maple syrup with a brew kettle.
Brew stand doubles as a saw horse.

I used my fermentation chamber (freezer) as a substitute for the house freezer when the house one needed to be defrosted. Both the MLT with RIMS and the HLT have been used for sous vide cooking when I needed to cook things at different temperatures. Star San spray gets used on cutting boards in the kitchen all of the time.

Friend of mine really enjoyed a mini novelty Corona salt and pepper shaker at a restaurant. I later acquired a couple bottles and grabbed my capper to make a gift for him. I have heard DME going into various baking.

My PID controlled E-BIAB kettle makes an excellent sous vide cooker.

Back