Non-Auto Siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbkid

Reaction score
So silly me, I bought a siphon without doing my research.
I have 2 gallons of Strawberry wine in a 5 gallon pale I need to siphon and/or filter into 2 1-gallon Growlers.
The siphon I bought was a Brewer's Best Bottle Filling/Siphoning Set
It has a cane, tubing, and an attachment at the end with a valve you push onto the bottom of what you are siphoning into I guess? No pump though like all the online videos show.
So how do I work this thing, or, if it's inadequate, what is the easiest/best way to filter my wine into the growlers?
Thanks for the help, I've already spilled too much of it to continue trying on my own...
Also, I plan on topping up with a simple syrup, will that work ok?

One way would be to connect the pieces--racking cane to tubing to bottle filler. Fill the entire setup with a dilution of starsan by submerging it and using your finger to open the valve. Release the valve and the solution will be "locked in." Now stick the racking cane in your Carboy at a higher elevation than your growlers. Use a bowl to start the siphon and collect the starsan solution by pressing the valve in the bottom of the bowl. That will draw wine into the tubing. When the wine gets to the bottom of the bottle filler, pull it up and press it into the bottom of the fittest growler. When that's full, move to the next.

Should be first. Dang auto correct.

Ha! and I thought you were using "across the pond" archaic English. As in: "He held in his hand, the most fittest growler for the task. Ole, vbkid shal learn the way of the siphon after all."

In all seriousness though, see here as what harrke has described. Just be sure to drain starsan into a bowl or device other than your wine vessel. Unlike what this wine diluting chap has done in this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
use a turkey baster to suck air through the tube or get an auto siphon, I have no idea why this man is diluting his wine with sanitizer....

It was water and I doubt that that one little dab hurt anything at all. He probably topped the carboy with water too. If you don't want the little bit of water catch it in a glass before inserting tube to carboy.

Back