non-alcoholic beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
Please no one threaten or beat me for saying what im about to say. Yesterday i went to a baseball game and had to drink NA beer. I have only drank this stuff one other time in my life which was about 12 years ago. It was odouls and for a light beer it tastes better then most other commercial light beers except there is no "nutrients" in odouls. Ok this being said what is everyones opinion of na beer and does anyone know how they make this stuff?????????

I had one this weekend as well. And as far as the taste goes, it's nothing great... certainly not better than say water, tea, soda, etc. So I'll stick to the other NA drinks first.

As far as making it, make the beer normally just like you would with any other beer. Ferment it out, let it age etc. Now when it's time to bottle/keg, get your boiling pot and burner back out and siphon into the boil pot. Now ethanol boils at 173F (per wikipedia) so you'll want to heat the beer up to I'd say just above that temp and hold it there for about 30minutes. Now if you bottle, you'll have to re-pitch the yeast because they'll all be dead.

NA Beer is okay, my dad drinks it like water (he recently got his 20-year chip). I've made some homebrewed NA for him before using this method. Works pretty well. Unless you have a vacuum system like the big guys have, this is what you'll need to do.

link to a byo article: http://***********/feature/66.html

and evan beat me to it.

Evan do you have a recipe that would translate good to NA. My father has just over 5 years but would like to try some of my beer.

Evan do you have a recipe that would translate good to NA. My father has just over 5 years but would like to try some of my beer.

Depends on what he likes. My smoked Porter in my recipe pulldown works well...anything that's really hoppy is gonna suffer because you boil out a lot of the hop flavor and aroma when you boil out the ethanol.

Most recipes can be neutered. If you want a hoppy nose, just dryhop after removing the alcohol. Then re-pitch, prime and bottle. It will end up at 0.5% ABV or even less if you keg & force carbonate.

Why not have your dad sniff or try a small sample of a few brews & you can do a gallon from your next batch.

Depends on what he likes. My smoked Porter in my recipe pulldown works well...anything that's really hoppy is gonna suffer because you boil out a lot of the hop flavor and aroma when you boil out the ethanol.

Proof of this is the fact that distillers do NOT used hopped beer for their wash. Much of the hop aroma and oil comes off at lower temps as well as the alcohol. I do not think it would be a bad idea to dry hop after dealcoholization. (I just made up a word)

Tell all of your fathers congratulations for me. My Dad Died with 17 years worth of sobriety, and that is perhaps the #1 or #2 thing that I'm most proud of him for.
Having said that....Anyone know how to tell if you got all of the alcohol out of your beer?

I dunno if you are familiar with Malta Goya, it's a N/A Malt beverage sold in mexican groceries. It comes in both a light and a dark...the dark supposedly is very porter like.

Some people use it for making yeast starters.

Anyway while doing a little research on it for the supermarket brewing thread, I came upon an article on cloning it....it might give you some insights...

jongriffin.com/articles/malta said:
Malta - Non Alcoholic Malt Beverage from the Caribbean and Latin America

October 17th, 2006 ·

Malta is a non-alcoholic beverage common in the the Caribbean and Latin America. It is basically unfermented wort. Traditionally, since this was treated as a foodstuff, no adjuncts were added. However, all commercial examples I could find, both in the US and in Cuba now contain Sugar of some kind, generally Molasses but also Cane Sugar.

Historically, malta was used as food for children and the sick and has since become a mainstream beverage. Of course, the other soft drink companies have taken market share from Malta, but it is still a very popular drink.

I got a prototype malta recipe from a friend in Cuba, and along with John Curtis (another Malta enthusiast), we decided to give it a shot. Here is the result of our Malta experiment.

Target recipe - traditional malta with no adjuncts:
80% 2 row pale malt
15% Crystal malt
5% Chocolate malt
Original Gravity (OG) 14 Plato
Luisa’s Malta Mania (1st version)
Brewed on 3/16/2004
5.0 Gallon Batch (all grain)

8 lbs Pale Malt (US 2 row)
1.5 lbs Crystal 20 malt
.5 lb Chocolate Malt (350)
13 oz Cane Sugar (Piloncillo)
1.25 oz Liberty Hops 4.4%
Mash In: Add 12.5 qts of water at 170.5 F

Hold Mash at 158 F for 45 min, we wanted a lot of nonfermentable dextrins.

Mash Out: Add 5.0 qt of water at 196 F
Hold mash at 168 for 10 min
Sparge with 3.39 gal of 168 F water
Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.3 gallons Add hops for full 90 minute boil, there are no flavor or aroma additions.
We also added the Cane sugar for a full 90 minutes.

The malta we ended up with is as follows:

18 IBU
1.040 Pre Boil gravity
13 Brix Original Gravity (OG)
Since malta is a non-fermented beverage, there is no final gravity (FG).

Outcome
The color was fine for a malta, but it had to much hop bitterness. This has now become beer by boiling the wort again to sterilize and added White Labs WLP002 (English Ale) yeast. Our final gravity (FG) was 7.5 brix.

This made an awesome beer, Southern English Brown (BJCP category 10C) would come to mind immediately. I would not change a thing on this recipe for making this beer. Also, this beer was on tap at the 26th Annual National Homebrewers Conference in Las Vegas NV, for club night with the CUBA brew club. Anyone interested could try both the Malta and the Southern English Brown Ale.

Malta second batch brew sheet
We decided to boost the Cane Sugar to 2 lbs and cut back the hops to 6 IBU.
We brewed on 3/16/2004
5.0 Gallon Batch (all grain)

8 lbs Pale Malt (US 2 row)
1.25 lbs Carahelle malt
.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350)
1.50 lbs Cane Sugar (Piloncillo) broken up
2.50 lbs Molasses
.5 oz Liberty 4.4%
Mash In: Add 12.5 qts of water at 170.5 F
Hold Mash at 158 F for 45 min

Mash Out: Add 5.0 qt of water at 196 F
Hold mash at 168 for 10 min
Sparge with 3.39 gal of 168 F water
Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.3 gallons.

Added hops and cane sugar for full 90 minute boil, there are no flavor or aroma additions.
Added Molasses during last 10 minutes of the boil.

The malta ended up as follows:
6.0 IBU
1.053 Pre Boil
12 Brix OG
There is no FG
Outcome
This is the definitely the recipe to experiment with further.

Aroma: The aroma was definitely all molasses. There was no hop bitterness evident at all. Perfectly to style.

Appearance: The color was dark brown, but maybe it needs a little more Chocolate malt or some Black Patent malt. Very close to style.

Flavor: This has a very big Molasses front, slowly turning to a slightly hoppy after taste. It might be a slight bit underhopped, but it is definitely very close to being the perfect recipe.

Mouthfeel: Full body, carbonation was medium-high to high. This is to style.

Overall Impression: This is an extremely close replica to many of the commercial Malta’s. A very similar version was available for tasting at the 2004 AHA National Conference. I will boost the hops 1-2 IBU’s and add a touch more Chocolate Malt.

The problem is a hydrometer measures the amount of sugars in your beer, not the amount of alcohol. I think you can do it by weighing the beer before and after, but you'd need a real precise scale.

well no, it doesn't measure the sugars... it measures the density of the liquid. It by no means has to be sugar. In our case the specific gravity of our finished beer is a combination of the leftover sugars, water, yeast, and alcohol. Now the sugars are going to bring it up, and alcohol having a gravity of 0.789 will lower the gravity. (example: take the s.g. of water, then add some ethanol, the s.g. will be less than 1.) Remove all of the alcohol and naturally it will have a higher S.G.

And really, by weight, if you have a 3% beer by weight, it should weigh ~3% less when the alcohol is gone.

well no, it doesn't measure the sugars... it measures the density of the liquid. It by no means has to be sugar. In our case the specific gravity of our finished beer is a combination of the leftover sugars, water, yeast, and alcohol. Now the sugars are going to bring it up, and alcohol having a gravity of 0.789 will lower the gravity. (example: take the s.g. of water, then add some ethanol, the s.g. will be less than 1.) Remove all of the alcohol and naturally it will have a higher S.G.

And really, by weight, if you have a 3% beer by weight, it should weigh ~3% less when the alcohol is gone.

+1 z987k. The beer will be more dense and a higher gravity. z987k good thinking but you know if you ever want to fly for a living you cant have an airplane as an avatar. On this or any forum;)

I never knew we could do this and I just might brew a batch or two of something that didn't call for any flavor or aroma hop additions like a stout or brown ale and convert maybe just some of it to na. It would be nice for even the drivers at the party to be able to have some homebrew.

Anyone have an efficient way of evaporating ethanol from ~ 5 gallons of beer? Can I rack it back into my kettle and just heat it on the burner to 180F? Then I would let it cool and rack to the keg. Sound ok?

i may be ressurecting a thread here, but im curious...

Is there a way to (safely) bottle carbonate Malta?

Is it possible?

If you're feeling really lucky, try searching the forums for threads about pasteurization. What you're doing in the latter case is letting the yeast consume some of the sugar and then killing them once you have the desired level of carbonation. Some folks have done it in a pot on the stovetop, while others just put the bottles in the dishwasher. You'll probably want to use strong glass for this; the ideal gas law tell us that pressure (given a constant volume) varies in direct proportion to temperature. Thus, you'll be generating some high pressures in the bottle when you raise the temperature to 160 degrees F.

Of course, the simplest and safest answer (but not the cheapest) is to force carbonate in a keg and bottle from that, but you did specify bottle carbonating.

Great response Latium. Thats what i suspected but didnt think about the options you provided. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back