Non-Alcoholic Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcownz747

Certified Cicerone, YPG vet
Reaction score
My father is a recovering alcoholic. He is also the man who I've helped brew since I was 8. He still drinks NA beers, and we still talk beer production all the time.

With that in mind, his 50th birthday is in 6 weeks. I want to try my hand at an NA beer for his birthday.

I've been reading into it, and it seems like everybody is just making a regular beer, boiling out the alcohol, and then bottle conditioning. However... I've also heard that a number of brews made this way end up skunky or flavorless.

I was wondering if, instead of making a regular beer, if one would get a higher quality product if he were to brew a non-hopped beer, boil off the alcohol, and DURING THAT BOIL he hopped it.

My father is a malt-head, so I don't have to worry about keeping a pale beer.

Alternatively, if that doesn't work, would it be okay to brew a lightly hopped beer and do a finishing hopping after the alcohol-boil?

Any help or inspiration would be nice.

Any help or inspiration would be nice.

I read that you don't need to boil it after fermentation, just heat up till 180 F and let it 30 minutes to let evaporate alcohol.
the suggestion is to start from an existing recipe, mash at 158F to get a ful body, go on with boiling, then when beer is ready and fermented, you can take the part you want alcohol free (no need to do a whole batch, you can try few liters), heat up in a pot 180°F for 30 minutes, then prime, add yeast and bottle.

Back