non alcoholic beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Junior

Reaction score
while im sure this isnt the most popular forum to be inquiring about non alcoholic beer, here me out.

my dad is the greatest influence in my life. he gave up drinking when he was 25 and about to become a father. his reasons, all of which i do not know in their entirety, are noble. one thing he never stopped loving was beer. but if there is anything worse than the bmc selection, its the non alcoholic selection.

so my question is, are there any resources where i can research non-alcoholic brewing? i think this would be the ultimate christmas present to him. he loved guiness before he quit drinking.

It will be hard to get 0.0% ABV as a homebrewer, but I saw a few articles about how to get to < 1% ABV by heating fully fermented beer until the alcohol evaporates, then priming it and bottling it with fresh yeast for carbonation. I was planning on trying that method on a part of the pale ale that's in the fermenter right now.

They say it increases bitterness, as the extra time of heating causes more isomerization, so you may want to adjust your hop schedule.

http://byo.com/stories/item/263-brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

If you try it, let us know how it went!

I would think it would be easier with malt forward beers, since the heat will take away most of the hop character (or you can dry hop after the heat).

It also might be easier to keg it and force carb, you can even bottle direct from the keg.

Without alcohol your sanitation has to be spot on though.

thanks for the quick updates. i was planning on a brown ale that has a rich maltiness, and very little hop aroma to begin with.

im going to give it a swing. ill have to borrow a beer gun, but that shouldnt be too tough. i didnt even think of the additional sanitation worries. ill be sure to stay on top of that.

if anyone near philly would be willing to let me borrow a beer gun, dm me!

I filled bottles from a keg for a wedding over the summer, just used a homemade counter pressure filler. Cut a piece of racking cane, stick it through a stopper that fits in a bottle, then stick a basketball inflating needle through the stopper, and hook that setup to a picnik faucet using some tubing.

You can keep your thumb over the stopper to keep the pressure on and slow down the fill/reduce head. Just be sure to fill until the head is coming out of the top and cap right it like you would a growler. My bottles kept for at least 2 weeks with no ill affects.

Southern_Junior said:
while im sure this isnt the most popular forum to be inquiring about non alcoholic beer, here me out.

my dad is the greatest influence in my life. he gave up drinking when he was 25 and about to become a father. his reasons, all of which i do not know in their entirety, are noble. one thing he never stopped loving was beer. but if there is anything worse than the bmc selection, its the non alcoholic selection.

so my question is, are there any resources where i can research non-alcoholic brewing? i think this would be the ultimate christmas present to him. he loved guiness before he quit drinking.

I think it is great you want to do this for him. I think it is very noble of him to quit drinking if it was affecting his life. I know it won't be great beer, but I'm sure it will taste great to him.

Yeah, I was thinking of a coil system myself. That would filter it then flash pasteurize the beer and cool it to kegs and bottles. I am still making the designs.

Using this method. ABV would be lowered too.

It is Impossible to brew a 100% non alcholic beer.... beer needs fermentation and that create alchole so what you are trying to do then is brew a overly low alchole beer (near beer). Its very simple..... high mash temps 175 you will get sugar but almost no fermantables the hard part is not making it to thin or to sweet

Even "non alcoholic" beer has a bit of alcohol in it, it can contain up to .5% and still be marketed as non alcoholic.

Near beer and ginger beer are good search terms for brewing low abv beer.

Also, if you do some Google searches on cooking with alcohol you'll probably find a chart with evaporation rates/temps.

I have heard of pulling the beer under vacuumed to lower the boiling point. This will keep from making it taste like corn if you try to evaporate the alcohol with heat. Guinness does make their own alcohol free beer it has .05 alcohol it is called Kaliber not to bad. Cheers

Slightly O/T but Erdinger makes a pretty tasty non-alcoholic beer. Their sales rep said they use a unique process, might be worth researching.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

I wonder if you couldn't just make a Malta Goya type beverage with hops. Make a wort boiled with hops then just gas it to make it fizzy. You could use a sodastream to gas it if you don't have kegs. If you don't add yeast there won't be any alcohol.

Just thinking out loud here...

Back