NOLA Blonde Hops - Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pig140

FBC
Reaction score
I need some recipe help. I'm working on my first blonde ale. When I come up with a recipe, I always test several beers in the style, look at clone recipes, and then adjust to what I think I'm looking for.

So... it seems Bombshell Blonde is pretty popular for a blonde. I tasted it back to back with NOLA Blonde (I'm in Louisiana), and I can say that NOLA has what I'm after. The Bombshell seems a little more bitter (and definitely more carbonated). The NOLA is smoother and little maltier. Most people describe the hops as floral or herbal and citrus. The NOLA description says 5 different malts and 2 hops. The recipe is a work in progress and right now I'm thinking Sterling for the long run and finishing with Tettnanger... any thoughts?

Sterling can be spicy with a hint of pineapple as a finishing hop. Crystal sounds like the description and ive seen used in blonde ales before. You could use tetnang as well. Use a hop low in co-humolone for the bittering addition, below 30%, that will keep the bittering "softer", but there isnt going to be enough bittering hops to get much character besides that from the bittering addition.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I am also looking to replicate NOLA blonde. According to their website they use Crystal and Perle.
What did you end up using, how did it taste?

No problem. Let me check my notes and see. I ended messaging them and they basically gave me their recipe - which I ended up doing something totally different. I lost my old FB thanks to a hacker, so the messages are gone. I’ll look though and let you know.

I checked my notes. It wasn’t in FB. It was as over email. I had asked their brewmaster to critique my blonde recipe. He told me their 2 hops are Perle and Crystal, but he really liked mine, so I did my own thing.

Did they give you the % of the different grains they used, hops schedule, and/or yeast recommendation?

2 row, light Munich, 10L caramel, and wheat. No percentages. Perle shortly after the boil starts and Crystal about 3/4 the way through. That’s what he gave me. Super nice guy.

No yeast recommendation but I would use WLP001.

Back