Nogne-O Double India Pale Ale Clone-Critique Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
For those that haven’t had the absolute pleasure of trying what I find to now be my favorite IPA, it has a nice caramel chewieness with a crisp clean malt taste that flows into the amazing hops. I like it because it isn’t really bitter (there’s a slight bit of dry bitterness that comes through on the back end) and it’s more floral/foresty/piney hoppy and I love that!

This will probably be the second All Grain beer I brew so i would love to see what you guys think of the recipe that I tried to deconstruct from drinking this fine beer. Keep in mind the original brew is 100 IBU's (this formula is reading 78.9) and the ABV is 8.0 (this recipe is 8.6) according to Tasty brew's calculator.

Nogne-O Double Indian Pale Ale
OG= 1.089, FG= 1.022 ABV=8.6% IBU=78.9
5 Gallon Batch

13 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.5 lbs Munich Malt 10L
1.5 lbs Crystal Malt 40L
0.75 oz Centennial (60 minute)
0.5 oz Brewers Gold (bittering hop) (60 minute)
0.5 oz Chinook (bittering hop) (60 minute)
0.5 oz Amarillo (50 minutes)
0.10 oz Amarillo (15 minutes)
0.25 Millennium (15 minute)
0.25 oz Centennial (15 minute)
English Ale Yeast

Mash 155F for one hour.

I've never had their double IPA, but from my experience with their regular IPA, I'd think that's not nearly enough hops, especially for aroma. The IPA has, according to a recipe the brewery has shared with the Norwegian homebrew community, hop additions at 90, 30, 15, 5, 1 and -1 minutes (steep), and generous dry hops.

I agree, no where near enough hops for a DIPA. Never had the Nogne, but my regular American Pale Ale recipes have more hops than you have for a DIPA.

Back