Noble Trappist Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is that from midwest? looks like a good recipe. kind of low alcohol for a trappist.

Looking through their stuff they don't have any real high gravity kits. their triple is only about 8%. huh.

i'm planning to brew this week. something light...maybe another hefeweizen. i need to have a brew ready in a little over 3 weeks for a friends party. the clock is ticking :eek:

Oddly enough, the SG was only 1.038 or so at 73Fah. Sheet says supposed to be at 1.048-50. I may have added too much water thought. My bucket primary was still being used so I used my 6.5 carboy and guessed at the 5gallon mark. I have only used that once for a primary and never marked the 5 gal level. Hate to clean it after so only use it for wine.

After 21 hours or so, the trub is at the bottom but no activity from the bubbler and no krausen at the top, so something is going on. Temp says 70F so I have wrapped a heating pad to get that up and see if we can start it up. Used Trappist Ale Yeast liquid for it so should be just fine.

It took about 48 hours with the yeast but it finally started going and went well. I just racked it to the secondary today. Gravity at 1.008. Taste is green and more bitter than what I was going for or what I thought it would be. I am going to leave it in the secondary for awhile and check back with it in 2 weeks. May leave this for 4-6 in secondary and then age in a keg for a bit. May even toy around with sweetening it a bit later.

Back