Noble Rot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about this beer? My wife bought one for me today, at $28.00 (a rip off if you ask me). I am thinking about cellering it until Christmas when my mom comes up, but I wanted to know what expect. To be honest, it scares me a bit. Haha ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413433907.575924.jpg

Never had it and can't imagine any beer being worth $28.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had it on tap, around 8$ a pint so wasn't too bad. The gf loves it.

Belgiany ale with grape must and some weird bacteria if I remember right. Might be a saison.

Just about everything Dogfish brews is worth having once... although, not always twice. Which is to say, they're all pretty interesting both in terms of the final product and in the processes and ingredients they use to get there, but, they tend to be pretty weird. I don't remember much about this beer in particular, but, since it doesn't look like one of their hop-forward efforts, I imagine a month or two in the cool and dark won't hurt it, and you probably won't end up minding splitting it three ways instead of two.

Do you get much Oregon beer in Alaska? Next time you've got an extra $28 burning a hole in your pocket and some space in your cellar, pick up one of Deschutes' Abyss or Black Butte anniversary reserves, or one of Cascade's sours.

I am not a sour man, but the others sound good. We actually have a great shop up here that gets many of the West Coast beers and a few from other locals. The selection of imports is staggering. I had a Stone Ruinten last night. Thanks for the tips!!

Just about everything Dogfish brews is worth having once... although, not always twice. Which is to say, they're all pretty interesting both in terms of the final product and in the processes and ingredients they use to get there, but, they tend to be pretty weird. I don't remember much about this beer in particular, but, since it doesn't look like one of their hop-forward efforts, I imagine a month or two in the cool and dark won't hurt it, and you probably won't end up minding splitting it three ways instead of two.

Do you get much Oregon beer in Alaska? Next time you've got an extra $28 burning a hole in your pocket and some space in your cellar, pick up one of Deschutes' Abyss or Black Butte anniversary reserves, or one of Cascade's sours.

Most over rated brewery out there. Lots of notoriety but nothing I have really enjoyed drinking. Will be out that way next summer. Will visit their pub and brewery in an honest effort to see if I am being unfair.

It is kind of like Saison/wine blend. Its good, but it should cost about $12.99. That was DFH bottles go for here. Definitely over paid, but it is good.

I've had it before a couple of times, Costco stocks it at times. It isn't the least bit sour of funky and is very approachable, especially for wine drinkers who aren't in to beer. It was a bit sweet for my taste but refreshing on a hot day or served with an appropriate food pairing.

I've had it before a couple of times, Costco stocks it at times. It isn't the least bit sour of funky and is very approachable, especially for wine drinkers who aren't in to beer. It was a bit sweet for my taste but refreshing on a hot day or served with an appropriate food pairing.

Real good description. Where are you that you find it in Costco? I am on my iPhone so I can't see location. I think it is even better on tap at their Ales and Eats pub.

I've had it. I think I paid about $12 for it. I didn't really care for it. I like some DFH beers, but I don't care for about 50% of them. Not a fan of mixing beer and wine ingredients. I do like Hell Hound and *****'s Brew.

Most over rated brewery out there. Lots of notoriety but nothing I have really enjoyed drinking. Will be out that way next summer. Will visit their pub and brewery in an honest effort to see if I am being unfair.

I disagree - their standard beers are decent, they use quality ingredients and care about their brewing process, and they aren't afraid to try new things. Not all of it works out, but they know that going in.

I bought 3 bottles for $6 each, and thought they were expensive.

It was a pretty good beer. You should really enjoy it if you can forget the price.

I picked up a few bottles of their 'red and white' a couple of weeks ago. Another one with wine. Looking forward to trying it this weekend. They were $4 a bottle.

Where are you that you find it in Costco?
Some Seattle area Costco stores have lots of single bombers and 750's for sale, both local craft breweries and imports. The stores serving the less cosmopolitan suburbs don't have the same selection at all.

The OP is in Faribanks, Alaska. Almost everything in Alaska is imported and is is crazy expensive. I'm not shocked at it being $28 there.

FYI- Noble Rot refers to Botrytis. Is is s fungus that grows on the outside of grapes that are left on the vine after harvest. If managed properly it concentrates the juice and produces a very sweet wine, ie, Ice Wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back