no two pours alike

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmeup

Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked or answered before i am not very computer savy. i am fairly new to kegging and seem to be having some sort of a problem with a keg of 11% ipa it has ben in the keg for 3 weeks force carbed at 12 psi 1 week after kegging carb level was perfect pour was perfect now the carb level seems to be right where i like it but i can only pour 1 glass. the next glass is almost all foam as with every glass for the remainder of the night. i have adjusted the psi down and purged all i get is a slow pour with lots of foam. turn the psi up lots of foam. i feel that this keg is going to be gone befori i figure this out. i have 3 foot of out hose and a party faucet. kegs are in a fridge co2 tank is out side fridge. any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you
dan

Hi Dan!

I think the problem is the short hose.

I like to have my beers at about 11 psi (perfect carb in my kegerator) but I have to have 6-10 feet of line to maintain a nice pour that way.

With the short line, you're "knocking" the co2 out of the beer, so you're getting foaming.

Can you turn the tank down to 2 psi, and then purge the keg (pull the pressure relief valve) and get a nice pour that way?

went down to 4 psi still all foam on the 2nd pour maybe try 2 psi now as my glass seems to be leaking again:mug:

thanks yooper
2 psi seems to work the problem is the glass empties faster than it fills at that pressure. guess i hae to go to the hardware store tomarrow. thank you again. btw i wish i called the upper home but where do you get supplies from? i live in the thumb and have to drive nearly an hour to the nearest hb store.

Only an hour's drive to a store? Geez, I'm jealous! I order online mostly, but can go to Appleton, WI to a very small but nice store. It's only 175 miles each way, but I don't get there very often (and he's closed on Sunday)

Did you pull the pressure relief valve when you reset the pressure? Sometimes you have more pressure in the keg, so it still foams. You want to pour it so that it takes at least 4-6 seconds to fill your glass, without much foam.

turned down psi purged keg opened gas valve back up pours with minimal foaming. but it seems the keg is almost dry. just me drinking it. i bought the keg setup because i was hardly brewing due to my hatred of the whole bottling process. but wow can i put 5 gal away quick this way. o well at least my wife cant tell how much i really drink this way

turned down psi purged keg opened gas valve back up pours with minimal foaming. but it seems the keg is almost dry. just me drinking it. i bought the keg setup because i was hardly brewing due to my hatred of the whole bottling process. but wow can i put 5 gal away quick this way. o well at least my wife cant tell how much i really drink this way

Well, if you get a good pour at a lower psi, that is telling me that your line is too short. Try 10 feet of beerline, and see how that is.

I know what you mean about the emptying kegs. My beer disappears way too fast, too, and I don't have any beer bottles lined up on the counter to give me away!

:mug:Great topic guys, Im pretty much a newbe to brewing and just bought my first kegging system. The lines they give are as short as possible so im glad I found this post as I can see I could have the same problems. Also I have to say I havent thought of the advantages of there not being a bunch of emptys for her to find in the am. fyi, just to brag, adventures in home brewing is about a five minuite drive from my house and the place is awsome. Any general tips for a first time kegger. Cheers

:mug:Great topic guys, Im pretty much a newbe to brewing and just bought my first kegging system. The lines they give are as short as possible so im glad I found this post as I can see I could have the same problems. Also I have to say I havent thought of the advantages of there not being a bunch of emptys for her to find in the am. fyi, just to brag, adventures in home brewing is about a five minuite drive from my house and the place is awsome. Any general tips for a first time kegger. Cheers

I know that many kits come with 3 feet of beer line, but it just seems to cause foaming issues, unless you turned down the pressure for serving.

There is a sticky in this forum, called "Kegging FAQs" and I read it like crazy when I first got my kegging system. There are carbonation charts, tips for line balancing, how to find a leak, etc. Those really helped me. We'll be glad to answer any specific questions of course!

(BTW, I assume you mean "guys" in the generic "people" sense? ;))

I know that many kits come with 3 feet of beer line, but it just seems to cause foaming issues, unless you turned down the pressure for serving.

There is a sticky in this forum, called "Kegging FAQs" and I read it like crazy when I first got my kegging system. There are carbonation charts, tips for line balancing, how to find a leak, etc. Those really helped me. We'll be glad to answer any specific questions of course!

(BTW, I assume you mean "guys" in the generic "people" sense? ;))

Well thank you, I have read some usefull tips already in the kegging faqs. And I am one fo those people who still use the term " guys" as a generic term... sorry still learning.

Well thank you, I have read some usefull tips already in the kegging faqs. And I am one fo those people who still use the term " guys" as a generic term... sorry still learning.

No, it's ok. I'm just teasing you. Apparently, a couple of people have been surprised to find out that I'm a petite middle aged woman, so I like to tease newcomers who just assume I'm a guy.

I really like the FAQs that Henry Hill put together. I use the carbonation tables all of the time, and used the tips for setting up my system.

Back