No tubing in fridge door?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyPaul

Reaction score
Am I missing something, or does my beer fridge have no tubing/piping in the door?

http://www.partselect.ca/ModelFrame...sition=1&mfg=Frigidaire&Type=Appliance&Mark=5

I'm looking to convert my system to kegging, and the first step is to convert the beer fridge into a keg-fridge. Based on the diagrams in the above link, there might be a line that goes vertical from the compressor to the freezer, along the back/rear-side of the fridge... but if I drill through the front of the fridge, it should be free 'n clear.

I'll do it the safe way and drill a small hole from the inside, then push a screwdriver through the foam until I hit the outside panel. I have several screwdrivers with long necks in the 1/2" size, so that should be similar to the size of the hose and the hole I'll need to drill (will gromet the outside hole so that hose isn't chafed)

Am I missing something, or could it really be that easy?

Only thing I need to do now is convince the wife that this is a good idea ;)

Doors are a safe bet... Open the door, do you see any way a tube can make it from the door to the compressor? Good luck on the build...

I'm a moron... it's supposed to say "no tubing in fridge side wall"

The door will be drilled later when I can justify the extra cost for perlick taps... for now, I'll just use picnic taps (best for whenever I want to take the kegs out for part-time)

The diagram you linked shows the condenser coils mounted on the back side of the fridge but doesn't show where the tubes to the evaporator will be. They may come out through the back wall and if you can find them there, then you are safe to drill the side. If you can't find them passing through the back wall, then no guarantees that the side is safe.

Drill from the inside of the fridge, use a screwdriver to carefully push the insulation aside. You'll see if there's a coil that way, can push it out of the way. Drilling from the outside is a crapshoot, somewhere there's a post on using colored powder to stick to the side where coils are.

Back