No sulfates in well water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm on my second well water lab report (two different homes), one house has very hard water, the other much more balanced.

In both cases the Sulfates (So4-S) are effectively zero, however it seems like all of the water profiles I'm seeing on Bru'n are in the 50-150 range.

Most but not all city water I've glanced at seems be be in the 5-15 range.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/water-profiles/

What is the disconnect with historical brewing water profiles and current North American water, both well and city? Additionally, does this mean that virtually all US-produced commercial IPAs are being brewed with significant Sulfate additions to the water profiles?

I don't think you can draw a lot of conclusions from just two samples. When I take a shower in the town where I grew up, I can smell the sulfur for hours afterwards.

Additionally, does this mean that virtually all US-produced commercial IPAs are being brewed with significant Sulfate additions to the water profiles?

Burtonization (adding gypsum to brewing liquor) has been practiced by brewers for almost 200 years since chemists deciphered that the Burton water supply had a lot of sulfate and brewers could duplicate that condition with gypsum additions.

I don't think that we can assume that virtually all brewers use elevated sulfate water in their brewing, but I can tell you that increasing the sulfate content of your brewing liquor does help increase the perception of dryness in any beer's finish. Depending upon the style, that can be a good thing. In my opinion, its very desirable in pale ales and IPAs. The fact that your tap water has virtually no sulfate is not a problem since sulfate is easily boosted with mineral additions. In addition, there are some beer styles where low sulfate is desirable. Hopefully your other ionic content is reasonably low since its easy to add...but difficult to take out.

Back