No Sparge RIMS style setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejuanald

Reaction score
I posted this on the beginners forum but nobody has responded. I thought I would try here.

So I am getting a march pump sometime soon and I have been thinking about doing a type of RIMS setup (I guess you could call it that?) with my boil kettle and 10 gallon plastic mash tun. I was hoping to get feedback on it.

What I plan to try is to heat my strike water and then transfer it to my mash tun, then add in my grains, mix it up, make sure it reaches temperature and then heat up the remaining water that I would need to reach a 7 gallon boil volume. Once it reaches the same temp as my mash, I start circulating that into my MLT as that gravity drains to my kettle and circulate this for the remainder of the mash. From there I can mash out and then drain everything to the kettle and get to the boil. Is this feasible with a 10 gallon plastic mash tun and 8 gallon boil kettle? I'm assuming I might get a bit lower efficiency, but that is easy to correct with $1-2 in grain. I saw some setups here that were similar to this but with using just one vessel.

Am I missing something? If this works, it seems like it would save a lot of time.

I posted this on the beginners forum but nobody has responded. I thought I would try here.

So I am getting a march pump sometime soon and I have been thinking about doing a type of RIMS setup (I guess you could call it that?) with my boil kettle and 10 gallon plastic mash tun. I was hoping to get feedback on it.

What I plan to try is to heat my strike water and then transfer it to my mash tun, then add in my grains, mix it up, make sure it reaches temperature and then heat up the remaining water that I would need to reach a 7 gallon boil volume. Once it reaches the same temp as my mash, I start circulating that into my MLT as that gravity drains to my kettle and circulate this for the remainder of the mash. From there I can mash out and then drain everything to the kettle and get to the boil. Is this feasible with a 10 gallon plastic mash tun and 8 gallon boil kettle? I'm assuming I might get a bit lower efficiency, but that is easy to correct with $1-2 in grain. I saw some setups here that were similar to this but with using just one vessel.

Am I missing something? If this works, it seems like it would save a lot of time.

Hi there,

The setup described sounds a bit like my "Redneck Herms System" I also use a cooler for mashing, and while mashing, i use my sparge water (batch sparge) for heating up my chiller. When draining the mash (after mash out - into a bucket) i start my batch sparge at the same time i start my ("partial") boil. (does this make sense?) When sparging is complete, the run off from the mash is almost boiling and i just ad the sparge run off to my kettle: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5JUhyiYqTg[/ame]

BR Folke

Ps.: Pls. don't laugh - i know...it's a sh**** set-up, but is what i can afford and in fact it works :D

Hi there,

The setup described sounds a bit like my "Redneck Herms System" I also use a cooler for mashing, and while mashing, i use my sparge water (batch sparge) for heating up my chiller. When draining the mash (after mash out - into a bucket) i start my batch sparge at the same time i start my ("partial") boil. (does this make sense?) When sparging is complete, the run off from the mash is almost boiling and i just ad the sparge run off to my kettle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5JUhyiYqTg

BR Folke

Ps.: Pls. don't laugh - i know...it's a sh**** set-up, but is what i can afford and in fact it works :D

And pls. do NOT look at the temp. though it's shown in Celtigrade °C ;)

Back