"No Sparge Method"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I am going to mash and perform a no sparge method on the following recipe to make 3 gallons.
#8 Two row Pale
#1/2 Belgian Aromatic
#1/2 belgian Biscuit
4oz Choc

I have a total of 9.25LBS of grain. using 1 qt per pound of grain. I need
9.25qts..... to mash this.

I will probably loose 1/2 of my mash volume in the grain leaving me with about 4.6qts.

So after my mash time of 1hr , I add enough water to the grain so that when I drain my mash tun I get a volume of 4 gallons. Then boil for a hour leaving me with 3 gallons total.

Is this the correct way to perform the No Sparge?

I know that with my typical Batch sparge method with this recipe I would end up with 1.080 on a 3 gallon batch...I get about 75%

I dont have a clue what gravity I will end up with on a no sparge...

I just want to see if it does produce a better beer, and I want to grow a nice yeast cake for my upcoming barley wine.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Why not drain the tun prior to sparging? You'll get much better efficiency. While it's recommended to sparge with at least the same volume as your mash infusion, you don't really have to.

Ken Schwartz is pretty much the godfather of batch sparging and no sparging. There is an incredible amount of information on his site, including some very nifty formulas.

For no sparge, I believe the main advantages are less time of sparge and no opportunity to get any tannins or astringencies. Some arguements can be made for flavor as well, but I can't recall the reasoning. At any rate the link has some very interesting information and the formulas port easily into Excel.

If I wanted to do a REALLY, really high gravity beer without having to do a four-hour boil, I would consider doing a no-sparge. I've never really picked up any astringencies from batch sparging, unless you've got an underlying problem (a whacked-out PH or using way too hot water), I can't really see how that would be a problem.

I'm confused by one thing, OP; is this no-sparge batch for the barkeywine, or just a regular beer?

the_bird said:
I'm confused by one thing, OP; is this no-sparge batch for the barkeywine, or just a regular beer?

hehe...the other question is, is he using pine bark, cedar bark, oak bark or poplar bark in his barkeywine. :D God, I'm an ass...

Evan! said:
hehe...the other question is, is he using pine bark, cedar bark, oak bark or poplar bark in his barkeywine. :D God, I'm an ass...

Actually, this is what I meant

tricks1.jpg

;)

I've heard that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's, but still I'd use something else to sanitize my bottles.

Back