No sparge as a way to jump into AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been brewing with extract for about two years now and would love to make the jump into AG, however, I don't really want invest in new equipment (MLT, larger brewpot etc., my current stuff already takes up enough room in my small condo).
But I was reading something by Randy Mosher the other day, and he suggested using a no sparge technique with a single cooler MLT and a larger grain bill to get a smaller boil volume. Any thoughts? Can I just up the size of my grain bill assuming lower efficiency and do an all grain batch in my five gallon pot?
Thanks as always.

You could do that, or go BIAB. Your grain bill would be limited by the space in the pot though.

You can absolutely do this. Your efficiency will be very low. I would estimate 65% for your first go around, and not be surprised if you get lower than that. However, if you can do no sparge, then you should be able to do the sparge as well. I would look into BIAB method if I were you.

Here is the link for reference:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

I agree. There's no point in getting a cooler MLT just to do a no sparge. For that, you could do a sparge.

Get a $4 5 gallon paint strainer from home depot and you have all you need. You could also get a large colander or metal rack that will go over the top of the pot. You can then set the grain bag on the rack/collander and pour your remaining water through the grain bag to get to the pre boil level.

If you have 2 pots, then there isn't really any reason not to do a batch sparge. But if you only have the 1 pot, and nothing else to drain your wort into, then a no sparge would be a good way to start all-grain.

Back