no sparge and beer color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to do a no sparge brew. What can I expect in terms of color difference from a regularly sparged brew? Will it be darker since I am not diluting it with sparge water?

I have the recipe in Beer Smith and to account for the no sparge aspect of it, I've dropped my efficiency down. Is it necessary to adjust my color expectation? And if so, by how much?

I'm gearing up to do a no sparge brew. What can I expect in terms of color difference from a regularly sparged brew? Will it be darker since I am not diluting it with sparge water?

Yes.

I have the recipe in Beer Smith and to account for the no sparge aspect of it, I've dropped my efficiency down. Is it necessary to adjust my color expectation? And if so, by how much?
That depends on a lot of things whose effects you can't really predict, except in the most general way, such as how much water you use to realize the batch sparge. Since SRM (color "depth") depends linearly on the amount of material dissolved, you might expect it to decline proportionally as your efficiency.

Back