Quantcast

no shoots ok?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I am a first time hop grower this year, jus got my rhizomes in the ground today... I planted 2 cascade, 1 centennial, 1 nugget, and 1 willamette. The willamette and the cascade already had chutes gowing when I planted them. The nugget and centennial had no evidence of growth....is that okay? Just paranoid I guess but just wanted to be sure:)
:drunk:

JAG410

Reaction score
I planted 3 rhizomes last thursday, and the one without any shoots is the only one that's broken ground so far :) It was a Chinook for what it's worth.

Looks are deceiving!

bigzippo

Reaction score
Mine had no chutes and broke ground ten days later.

JarrodH

Reaction score
My first year cascades took about 3 weeks. I had already ordered another rhizome as a backup when they decided to start growing up through the soil. :p

Stout Man

Reaction score
It may take a week to break ground, or a month. It depends on if there are shoots present on the rhizome and how deep you plant it. There will eventually be growth. I had a nugget that had no growth while others had already grown up 6'. All of a sudden it grew up and out very quickly as it had a lot of time to store nutrients.

Nurmey

I love making Beer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The rhizomes that haven't produced are probably busy working on setting their roots before they expend all the energy needed to make shoots.