No sanitizing cold brewed coffee???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkanaganMike

Reaction score
I've seen talk of adding coffee to a beer at bottling time by cold breweing it 24-48hrs prior to bottling and badly want to try it on a chocolate oatmeal porter I've got ready for bottling.

My question is why I can't find anything on people boiling the water first or any talk of sanitizing the beans or french press.

Am I paranoid or am I missing an obvious unspoken step?

I do boil the water first. Four days before bottling, I boil with it the mason jar and lid in my brew kettle. Put the boiled water in the mason jar, tighten the sanitized lid, and put it in the frig. After a couple of days I add the coffee, stir with a sanitized spoon and reseal the lid. On bottling day I filter with a new coffee filter (#nofilter?) and add the amount to the bottling bucket careful not to aerate.

1-2 cups for five gallons.

I grind it at the store. I don't sanitize the beans first, never had a problem. Maybe it's the clean beans. Maybe it's because the beer already has alcohol by that point. I find Decaf Sumatran holds up.

Also, I get the coffee at WinCo, because sometimes Walmart customers aren't interesting enough.

YMMV

Thanks guys. Cleaning and sanitizing has been so drummed into my brain since starting to brew I was surprised about the lack of info when people use coffee. I boiled the water and sanitized the jar and lid last night and will try it Wolfbyate's way.

@ Wolfbayte - What is the thought process about leaving it to sit in the fridge before adding the coffee? As far as filtering goes, I'm thinking of sanitizing and using the french press. What is "#nofilter?" ?

I use bottled water, spray star san on the bottle, pour into a santized jar, pour coffee into that, let it sit in the fridge and when I go to strain it, I sanitize the strainer and let it roll right into the bucket.

I use bottled water, spray star san on the bottle, pour into a santized jar, pour coffee into that, let it sit in the fridge and when I go to strain it, I sanitize the strainer and let it roll right into the bucket.

Awesome, I'm on board! Reckon I'm going to scale it down to half batch at bottling time, do the first half as per recipe, and add it to the second half (stirring it in gently as to not aerate) for taste comparison. :ban:

Back