No Sanitizer Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyobrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed yesterday and failed to sanitize.
On a normal day I fill my fermentation bucket with water and Starsan, let it soak, then empty it into another bucket that I use to sanitize everything else. I did the same thing yesterday except I failed to add Starsan. I soaked my fermenter in tap water only then did the same with the rest of my equipment.
The fermenters bubbling away doing its thing this morning and hopefully there won't be any problems.
What are the odds? Have you ever done this and ended up OK?
Kris

Even with sanitation we're tossing the dice every time we brew. Your particular odds really depend on the environment you brewed in. I'm not sure where you live, but in winter conditions you're safter than hot, humid conditions.

If there were no visible solids on any of your equipment you're /probably/ okay. If you milled grains anywhere near where you brewed/transferred you're increasing the chance of infection.

I think your odds of the batch being okay are better than 50%. If everything was very clean and rinsed with water, I would go with better than 75%. (I have no basis for these predictions other than gut feel.)

Please report back. And good luck!

Your beer is surely ruined! Get it to me promptly so I can dispose of it properly. ;-)

Latest posts

Back