no rinse sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr jones

Reaction score
so i got this no rinse sanitizer with my brew kit and i used it, but the first time it didn't dissolve all the way so i wiped out all the undissolved pellets with a paper towel. my next batch i made sure all the pellets were dissolved. anyway i was wondering how safe these no rinse sanitizers are, and whats the best ways to wipe things are paper towels ok or what?

-nick

If you disolve it properly you do not need to or for that matter want to wipe it out, hence the no rinse part. Foam is your friend, just dump out the liquid and let her rip.

I know what you're talking about. this is like one-step or oxy-san isn't it?

yeah, they sometimes need some hard stirring to dissolve it all.

i'd honestly recommend you switch to star-san. its a liquid so it dilutes easily, is no-rinse, works in 30 seconds, doesn't need to dry, and the residue breaks down into yeast food...so no off flavors.

"don't fear the foam!"

malkore said:
I know what you're talking about. this is like one-step or oxy-san isn't it?

yeah, they sometimes need some hard stirring to dissolve it all.

i'd honestly recommend you switch to star-san. its a liquid so it dilutes easily, is no-rinse, works in 30 seconds, doesn't need to dry, and the residue breaks down into yeast food...so no off flavors.

"don't fear the foam!"

+1 on the starsan, good stuff, seems to last forever

star san is the way to go? just follow directions and soak /wash any thing that will make contact with beer after boil? and, how long will sanitizer keep? could you use the same batch thru the weekend?, or is there a time constraint?

1brewdou said:
star san is the way to go? just follow directions and soak /wash any thing that will make contact with beer after boil? and, how long will sanitizer keep? could you use the same batch thru the weekend?, or is there a time constraint?

Yup, it keeps for a long time, I keep some in a small spray bottle and some in a 3 gal corny. you can toss it after a month or so or you can check the PH and just freshen it when needed.
Dont fear the foam, just drain the liquid and it dos'nt matter if the bottle or carboy if full of foam, just pour rite on top of it.

starsan.jpg

bug.gif

so, not only will star san keep for at least a month, its re-useable?:drunk: and the foam will actually FEED the yeast in the bottles? where do i get this stuff?

It wont feed the yeast, it just wont hurt them and it will keep the
bug.gif
out.

You can get it at any LHBS

its not meant to be yeast food...its just that the detergent in it breaks down into phosphate, which is something the yeast can clean-up.

I know nothing about brewing really but I do notice this :

Sanitizing - people have been brewing for thousands of years and there were no sanitizers until recently .

I have never heard of anyone getting ill from a beer that got some spore in the batch or other particle . If you are that sickly you have no business drinking . you breath in and eat tons of stuff all day long .

NO Rinse Sanitizer - Okay then I hear you should not rinse it off for several reasons . 1. it will not work . 2. your water is now on it and it has germs in it . ?? WTF ? . this is the same water you are making your beer with . you drink it every day . This is insane .
Now about not rinsing it . If you use it after drying some say it is no longer working as germs have gotten on the utensil. If you use it while still wet as I hear you are supposed to but nothing on the directions say anything on mine either way then you are now consuming this stuff. this can not be good can it ? How much are you consuming after so many beers ?

From the bottle : Avoid contact with eyes skin and clothing . Harmful if swallowed . Avoid breathing dust. For skin contact wash with water and wash contaminated clothing before reuse. For ingestion . Do Not induce vomiting . Drink large quantities of water IF ABLE and SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION .
so my ? is - Do you really want to be drinking this stuff ?

Personally I rinsed it off and let it dry .

Back