No rinse sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
On the bottle of some no rinse homebrew sanitizer I have it says "Do not rinse with water". I always rinse my bottles and fermenter out after using no rinse sanitizers because I mix it up in the amount recommended on the label, and I tasted it. It tastes quite salty and I don't want my beer to get those flavours in it.

i dont think there will be enough to give an off flavor plus wouldnt rinsing with un sanitized water defeat the purpose of it? if you are using sanitized(boiled) water would it matter if you rinsed? i dont think it would, i think you are just adding an extra step

There is always about a teaspoon of sanitizer left in my bottles after I have tipped it out, I'm just wandering if it will kill the yeast or leave unwanted flavours? That's also why I use normal tap water in my airlock.

I use iodophor at no rinse concentration (12.5 ppm) and drain the bottles on a bottle tree for a half hour or so. No off flavors here...

The whole point of no rinse is to NOT rinse with water that contains bacteria. Rinsing the bottles isn't a good idea, IMHO, but I don't know your sanitizer.

I use both Idophor (iodine) and StarSan (acid) and follow the directions and never rinse. It is bad practice to rinse as you are defeating the purpose if you do. Just drain them of standing sanitizer and you're good to go. I use Starsan in my airlocks too and have had suck backs before. You will never taste it at those amounts. Your totally fine.

What mix of iodophor makes it no-rinse? I know the final concentration should be 12.5ppm, but how much concentrated iodophor (i have the brupaks stuff) in how much water gets that concentration?

What mix of iodophor makes it no-rinse? I know the final concentration should be 12.5ppm, but how much concentrated iodophor (i have the brupaks stuff) in how much water gets that concentration?

Dunno brupaks. But the one I have from Brouwland is 5% iodine. They recommend 5 ml to 10 liters of water, which gives 25 ppm (though it doesn't say that. I had to call them and ask what the % concentration was.). So, I cut that in half.

Anyway, if yours is 5% iodine, you can use 2.5 ml per 10 liters of water. If it doesn't say the concentration, try to find that out. You can likely e-mail or call them. But seems likely they recommend 25ppm, so you can likely half whatever they say.

Back