No Purchase Necessary????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellybuster

Reaction score
Kudos to Coldbreak Brewing for offering up a prize but..... no purchase necessary??? Then why is it only open to supporting members?
Financial support to a forum is voluntary, not everyone has the means to support the more than likely many forums they make use of on a day to day basis.
Right from the give away page
"If you have any proof that you the community are loved by our sponsors this is it." unless of course you have not donated money to the forum.

what gives?

Cleverly hidden in Post #1. Yes, if you aren't a supporting member, you must purchase a postage stamp. Post cards require 35¢

coldbrea.jpg

I don't know if this discussion is serious or not, and in my efforts to avoid drifting off topic with pseudo-humor, I will assume it is.

The no purchase necessary language avoids the give away from being considered a raffle/lottery/etc which is (basically) outlawed in most circumstances (with few exceptions for charity, non-profit,etc). That is why with all these types of things you can mail in a submission, that's what makes it no purchase necessary. There is no purchase required to be entered. This forum just chooses to limit certain give always to supporting members to join via the forum. Otherwise, send your entry via the pony express.

Fun fact, even the annual McDonalds Monopoly event is no purchase necessary. Look up the rules, you can send in a self addressed stamped envelope and they will send you two game pieces, which are theoretically random. Even though the entire point of the promotion is for you to buy their awful food, it is still no purchase necessary to enter win.

[insert "The More You Know" rainbow here]

Kudos to Coldbreak Brewing for offering up a prize but..... no purchase necessary??? Then why is it only open to supporting members?
Financial support to a forum is voluntary, not everyone has the means to support the more than likely many forums they make use of on a day to day basis.
"If you have any proof that you the community are loved by our sponsors this is it." unless of course you have not donated money to the forum.

what gives?
You're exactly right. I'm a member of several forums, and very active on a handful. I can't support them all, so I pick the ones I get the most benefit from -- benefit being both the information and camaraderie of being a member, and the 'benefits' of membership - decals, special members-only forums, etc. Even without the forum entry option for the giveaways, this site is worth the $ every year for me.

And lastly... "No Purchase Necessary" doesn't exactly mean "No Purchase", it means a purchase from the sponsors of the giveaway cannot require you to purchase something FROM THEM to enter. Like has been said, virtually every giveaway or game out there has a "No purchase necessary, to enter send a self addressed stamped envelope to....."

@Bellybuster
Join date 2007, I'm sure you've gotten at least $.35 worth of brewing information in 8 years.

At an average of 2.5 posts per month over the last 8 years we can probably expect to hear no more from the OP in this rant thread for quite some time.

This thread has used up most of July's quota.

You're exactly right. I'm a member of several forums, and very active on a handful. I can't support them all, so I pick the ones I get the most benefit from -- benefit being both the information and camaraderie of being a member, and the 'benefits' of membership - decals, special members-only forums, etc. Even without the forum entry option for the giveaways, this site is worth the $ every year for me.

And lastly... "No Purchase Necessary" doesn't exactly mean "No Purchase", it means a purchase from the sponsors of the giveaway cannot require you to purchase something FROM THEM to enter. Like has been said, virtually every giveaway or game out there has a "No purchase necessary, to enter send a self addressed stamped envelope to....."

If I lived in San Marcos Texas and cold walk my entry in - would that be considered "no purchase necessary" :D

If I could roll my eyes any harder, they would probably become dislocated somehow.

If I lived in San Marcos Texas and cold walk my entry in - would that be considered "no purchase necessary" :D

Damn, why did I waste my precious bandwidth replying to the Giveaway Thread when I could have just as easily driven the 15 minutes it takes me to get to HBT headquarters and thrust my entry directly into TxBrew's hands? :D

thrust my entry directly into TxBrew

I haven't even hit the reply button yet, and I'm already beginning to regret my wording choices.

Just so I am caught up, did the OP actually complain about having to spend 35 cents? Perhaps it is the walk all the way to the mail box that is the real controversy.

i didn't become a supporting member just to enter into those free giveaways. in fact i don't want a herms coil and i haven't entered into that giveaway.

What im trying to say is, quit your bitching.

what gives?

Mail in entry is accepted.

Do you buy cereal, watch Wheel of Fortune, anything like that?

Most giveaways have an alternate method to prevent them from being a lottery.

Send me a mail in entry and your chances are as good as everyone else.

Mail in entry is accepted.

Do you buy cereal, watch Wheel of Fortune, anything like that?

Most giveaways have an alternate method to prevent them from being a lottery.

Send me a mail in entry and your chances are as good as everyone else.

I am in a grumpy mood today, so I am going to take this opportunity to dovetail on what Austin said and piss in everyone's cornflakes. There are a litany of laws that govern these give-aways and they very from state to state, and country to country. That is why most are limited to the continental 48, to people over 18, and exclude Canada, Rode Island, etc. When people complain about this, like the OP, all it does is cause blogs, forums, etc. to stop having the give-aways. There is literally no benefit to the forum, just its users.

If someone from the admin wants to PM me and kick this conversation over to email, please feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back