No Pruno here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
OK so all you guys that are always ranting that if you use orange juice in your brew it will be hooch or pruno here it is.
I brewed this batch with Briess wheat extract, muttons light extract & two 16 oz cans of orange juice concentrate as adjunct to brew and knotty as the yeast and cascade as the hops. It was brewed 2/21and bottled 3/24. It is fully carbed and delicious & beautiful and quite intoxicating. It does not taste winey, it has a very slight citrus taste and it has an orange glow to it but it has no overtly orange flavor or off flavor of any kind. It has just the right amount of foam. As a matter of fact I think it is the best beer I have brewed to date. If I can get my stupid camera to work I will post a picture.

Sounds like prison hooch to me...

Actually that sounds pretty good. I'm trying to picture the cascade hops and orange juice flavor mixing though. Glad you like it. Looking forward to pics.

It is fully carbed and delicious & beautiful and quite intoxicating.

Nuff said. I think that I heard a troop of WMU guys saying the same thing last week as they left the LHBS with 10 lbs. of corn sugar and some munton's yeast.

HOOCH!!:ban:

Just kidding, waiting for pictures.

Sounds interesting!

How much wheat and how much extra light (liquid or dry)?

And how much Cascade, and how long?

Thanks,

Pogo

Yea post up a recipe. I have some frozen orange juice I need to get rid of since I don't have a pitcher.

ojbglass.jpg

Photo appears cloudy but it was a frosted mug, actually quite clear considering the wheat content in the beer.
threw this together with things I had on hand
ORANGE WHEAT

Brewer: BLUE HOUSE Email: -
Beer: ORANGE WHEAT Style: American Wheat
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 6 HCU (~5 SRM)
Bitterness: 35 IBU
OG: 1.071 FG: 1.014
Alcohol: 7.4% v/v (5.8% w/w)
Grain: 1 lb. Flaked wheat
Boil: minutes SG 1.065 5.5 gallons
3 lb. 6 oz. Light malt extract
3 lb. 6 oz. Wheat extract
2 lb. Cane sugar (orange juice concentrate) (i put the orange juice in as cane sugar in the replicator cause I could not figure how to put it in otherwise.
Hops: 1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 45 min.)
Yeast: Knotty

I am not the great chemist that all you guys are, I don't know numbers the way you do, but I know this beer taste good.

I'm not sure you can call this hooch. The biggest difference between your throw together recipe and hooch is that you used sound brewing principles. You didn't throw this in an un-sanitized plastic jug and put a balloon on top and hid it under your bed. :D

It really does not taste all that dif than any other wheat beer I have ever had. Why are you guys so reactionary against oranges?? You don't freak when people talk about hard lemonaid you may not like it but you don't freak. You don't freak when people are putting whole raspberries in their secondary but some orange juice an OMG pruno. I just don't get it?

We have had many threads about folks trying to ferment straight OJ, which I understand pretty much tastes like barf when done. Adding fruit to a beverage won't even raise an eyebrow.

Well 2 lbs of fruit juice is a lot I guess but I had 7lbs of other fermetables in the batch. I did not get an over powering taste of fruit, barely a hint of citrus came through.

Back