No Orange Aroma/Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RchanceN

Reaction score
I bottled what is supposed to be an orange wheat a week ago but, I got zero orange aroma or flavor out of it. I added 2oz of fresh, diced orange peel to the last 5 minutes of the boil and another 1.5 into the primary for 4 days. I cut off pretty much all the white.

How much orange does it take?

It sounds like with the amount you added you should have gotten some aroma. Were the oranges reasonable fresh? Did the peel smell good? How many oranges worth of peel did you use? Was the base beer especially hoppy (or anything else that would have gotten in the way)?

Next time get a microplane grater/zester. They leave all the pith (white stuff) behind and cut the zest into very small pieces. Lots easier than trying to do it yourself.

Were the peels very aromatic to begin with? Or were they generic flavorless/tasteless oranges for the grocery store. Not every orange/citrus variety is going to be aromantic, and will impart little if any aroma and flavor to the beer. That's why seville orange are very popular, and is the dry peel you get at the homebrewshop.

Hell half the time the oranges from the grocery are coated with a waxy substance so the peel is all shiny. That's going to limit the amount aroma. You really have to smell the oranges, and buy them based on aroma and not by looks, in fact some of the most aromatic are the ugliest ones, even still green.

Honestly I have had very little luck with grocery store oranges, and tend to just buy the dry stuff from the lhbs, it's easier than hunting down Seville. You may want to try fruit markets rather than grocery stores, they may have better varieties than the grown for grocery store types. Like anything fruit grown commercially for grocery stores are meant to look pretty, be shelf stable and bear little resemmblance to the orange growing in someone's backyard in Florida.

Get ahold of radical brewing by Randy Mosher, he has a great discussion on using citrus in beers. It's really helpful.

Zesting is a good idea, BUT zesting a crappy odorless orange is still going to result in odorless beer. You have to start with the fruit itself.

Like anything, fruit grown commercially for grocery stores are meant to look pretty, be shelf stable and bear little resemmblance to the orange growing in someone's backyard in Florida.

Yep. Backyard oranges in FL tend to be a bit ugly, bulgy (not really that round), and make a FINE wit. They taste great too. The zest added to the boil (5 min) gives a great taste and some aroma. I use the zest from one orange per 5g.

Now I have to figure out something to do with my lemon tree :confused: (besides lemonade, of course).

just add a can of frozen orange juice concentrate to the keg. I did that for a wheat beer for the wife after having our 2nd baby. Never much liked fruit beers, but this beer was her's so what the heck. Came out really good actually. hopefully you keg, if not than please ignore this advice!

Yea, they were grocery store oranges, but had a decent amount of aroma. "Real" oranges are just out of season here. The local producer closed shop for the season about a month ago. Guess I'll wait to try another orange wheat. Lesson learned.

I don't keg yet Ender, but interesting idea. I was thinking about adding orange slices in a secondary, but was afraid it would turn out tasting more like OJ than beer.

Yea, they were grocery store oranges, but had a decent amount of aroma. "Real" oranges are just out of season here. The local producer closed shop for the season about a month ago. Guess I'll wait to try another orange wheat. Lesson learned.

I don't keg yet Ender, but interesting idea. I was thinking about adding orange slices in a secondary, but was afraid it would turn out tasting more like OJ than beer.

Not really, I did a blood orange hefe a while back and added 5 pounds of blood oranges to the secondary. It just kicked the fermentation back on and ate all the sugars from the oranges leaving mainly a nice hint of orange, and a bit stronger kick. I also added the zest of about 3 blood oranges to the secondary as well. Even with 5 pounds of blood oranges it still didn't taste anything near orange juice.

the one I did with the concentrate took first place in fruit beers at The Ohio State Fair. One judge at he BOS judging table said it tasted like OJ and the other said it tasted like a chick beer. I know both of them and told them "yup, I put concentrate in there and yup made it for my wife for having our baby boy."

I do a 10 gallon batch of BlackLabs Orange Coriander APA. I use 8 oz (.5lb) of fresh orange zest from grocery store oranges. I dont zest it with a grater but use a vegetable peeler....right into the boil for 60 minutes. The orange flavor is subtle and the aroma is as well. It is noticeable but not overpowering.

A week or 2 prior to bottling/kegging, zest 2 oranges into 2-4 oz vodka (enough vodka to cover the zest well), put into sealed mason jar to allow the vodka to extract the flavors/aroma. At bottling/kegging, strain out liquid, pour 1/2 of the liquid into bucket/keg, rack beer, mix well, sample for taste/smell add remaining liquid until you get what you want for flavor/aroma.
This works well, because you can adjust it on the fly.

What kind of orange were they? You really need seville oranges... I've tried using typical sweet oranges (zested 6) in secondary and the flavor didn't come through at all.

Just typical midwest grocery store sweet oranges, the smaller variety they had. I just scrubbed them in hot water to remove any wax or coating they may have had, and zested them onto wax paper, and slid them into the vodka.

I to have tried adding the zest to the boil, and to the secondary, both with less flavor/aroma than I was looking for. The vodka really extracts well.

Don't over do it with the orange like I just did. I zested two big ass oranges with a cheese grater and dropped them in the secondary after I soak them in vodka and pepper.

I kegged it last night and the aroma was to say the least STRONG. Should be ok though, I do like orange.

Back