No need for a keggle cutting jig..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
Just place the grinder guard against the rim of the keg, lay the back of the grinder on the lid and just follow the circle...it's that easy..just thought I would share...perfect circle every time and ya get in closer than ya would with a jig..

20140710_195924.jpg

20140710_195845.jpg

I cut slots in the leftover ring and then bent them up.Cut a little where the weld is and snap them off.A little touch up with a grinder and you have the whole top gone.

I agree, this is the fastest and easiest way. And that looks like you are cutting up a brand new keg, for the cost of that thing you should have bought a pot if that is the case.

Im sure he's just holding it there to take a pic. I cant imagine trying to run a grinder one handed, holding it like that, and trying to take a pic all at once. :drunk:

I agree, this is the fastest and easiest way. And that looks like you are cutting up a brand new keg, for the cost of that thing you should have bought a pot if that is the case.

How do you know what he paid for it?

Ive seen 5 year old kegs look brand spankin new with a little spit shine.

Thx for the tip OP, will be using it with my upgrade later this year.

Ya can find it at menards, there specifically for SS or hard metals and will say that right on the disc/wheel. There like 3 bucks a piece. I think that brand only comes in a 3.5"

I see others have done the same with success. Didn't work very well for me (I ended up shattering the disc somehow). Your cut looks perfect though.

I used a simple jig for the rest (I've done 6).

BTW, if the lip of the keg is dented at all, this won't work. Here's a pic of one I did for a friend. If you look closely you'll see a big dent at the top - had to use a jig set for a smaller hole. For anyone doing this freehand, just make sure you've got a clean rim.

img_4354-52842.jpg

I see others have done the same with success. Didn't work very well for me (I ended up shattering the disc somehow). Your cut looks perfect though.

I used a simple jig for the rest (I've done 6).

BTW, if the lip of the keg is dented at all, this won't work. Here's a pic of one I did for a friend. If you look closely you'll see a big dent at the top - had to use a jig set for a smaller hole. For anyone doing this freehand, just make sure you've got a clean rim.

img_4354-52842.jpg

Yes this is true about the lip, must be clean. Also I can see how the disc shattered, it's now at a slight angle when cutting so ya have to just let the grinder do the work and don't put a lot of pressure on it. It does take longer but is an option for those who don't wanna make or have the tools to make a jig.. Good tips pass, thanks for sharing..

I'm not sure I'd feel good about holding my grinder at that angle. I put the handle on mine and placed the guard on it in the center of the keg. It left me with a ~2.25 inch lip.

I'm debating whether I should grind it more narrow.

I'm not sure I'd feel good about holding my grinder at that angle. I put the handle on mine and placed the guard on it in the center of the keg. It left me with a ~2.25 inch lip.

I'm debating whether I should grind it more narrow.

Simple.. Since you already have a hole just use your grinder from the inside. Just use the wheel guard has a guide and follow the inside on the keg, I've done that before as we'll. piece of cake. I can take a pic of what I mean if ya need me to.

I think I know what you mean. I think I can do it if I adjust my guard 45 degrees.

I'm going to do a double BIAB brewday next week and see how much of a PITA the lip on it is before I decide if I want to grind it down more.

Here's some pics..i have a cordless grinder so the battery lays on the side perfect. And the guard acts as a solid surface so it doesn't shift or twist.

20140715_171201.jpg

20140715_171221.jpg

BTW,
If using plasma cutter make sure you put at minimum a few inches of water in the bottom of the keg prior to cutting the lid. This will serve as a spark arrestor inside the keg and prevent molten spray from the plasma from sticking to or pitting the bottom of the keg.

Having cut several kegs, the best piece of advise I can give is this:
If you plan on using a lid, get that first. Cut your keg to fit the lid.
I use lids... not for brewing, but for storing... it keeps junk out of my clean system until I'm ready to brew again.

Latest posts

Back