No More Bottles!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
I got my kegerator up and running. My ESB is being force carbed as we speak.

I converted a Sanyo 4912. It should be able to fit two kegs and a 5lb CO2 bottle. Things weren't so easy....I cut through a freon line in my first one. :eek: Plans are underway to repair that one. I was impatient, so I just bought a new one.

It looks so beautiful sitting in my kitchen. *sniff*

:D

Sam, can you post the pics (inside and out) in your gallery? I would love to see it. I currently have a kegerator (see gallery), but need to switch over to corny kegs and lines. I have only had commercial beer in the kegerator, but now that I am brewing a lot I will start kegging.

To hit the freon line you must have gone through the side of fridge rather than the door? Anyway, it should be fairly easy for you to repair. I look forward to seeing the pics! :cool:

Born Brewing Co. said:
Sam, can you post the pics (inside and out) in your gallery? I would love to see it. I currently have a kegerator (see gallery), but need to switch over to corny kegs and lines. I have only had commercial beer in the kegerator, but now that I am brewing a lot I will start kegging.

To hit the freon line you must have gone through the side of fridge rather than the door? Anyway, it should be fairly easy for you to repair. I look forward to seeing the pics! :cool:

Nope, the damn line was in the top! I almost crapped myself when it went "PSSSSSST".

I'll try to get some pics up in the next few days.

Sam, I'm real interested as well . I "want" to build into my wet bar a 2 tap system if I can make it work. I have a space under the bar that is 34h x 21.5w x 22d. A tight fit but looks like that Sr-4912M Sanyo would fit if thats what you got. So does it fit the 2 kegs and 5# co2 like you hoped? Does the gauges go in the frig as well?

bar-space.jpg

I'd have to have the hoses etc coming off the right side of the frig if that is doable. :confused: My plan was to have the 2-tap with flush mount drain sitting to the right of the frig / left of the sink. But still wanted to retain as much storage as I can on the right.

Going to take my time on this setup as I want it to look professional so I'm still in the planning stages. Don't want to F it up but it would look awesome if it could work! :cool:

I got to go check out that sanyo frig live but I have a similar dimension one at the office. That one however has a molded shelf on the back bottom that takes away about 6-7" on inside depth & about 6" high as well. Seems like a lot of them do. Is that also on the Sanyo? I couldn't imagine having room for everything with that so figured I'm SOL in using what I already own :mad:

Born Brewing Co. said:
Desertbrew,
What if you came up the top of the fridge and drilled through the top of the counter for a tower tap?

Intentions was a tower tap and I actually started thinking about that as well. I kind of wanted to plumb the drip tray into the sink though so wasn't sure if I'd have the space to do that. It might be an option though. I got to go to the HBS today so I'll get some visuals on the tower taps and drains. Best Buy is nearby as well so I can check out that Sanyo.

I got a spare full size frig but the wife says no :eek: Been married long enough to know that ain't worth the fight. This'll look cooler anyway but the $ keeps a flowin with this hobby...

Hey fellas, sorry I'm so late getting back on this. I just tried it, and 2 ball lock cornies and a 5lb CO2 tank WILL fit. You have to remove all the shelving from the door, but that's extremely easy. It's tight, but it works!!

You mean how I did the conversion? Not much to see, but I'll post some pics if you want.

I ordered this: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kits/shtk.shtml

But, I called them up and had them put in a dual-faucet tower and a regulator with two outputs. I ordered mine with the 5lb tank.

Basically all you have to do is drill a hole (1 1/2" to 3") in the top of your fridge to accomodate your beer lines, and mount the tower on top of it. The rest is just connecting the lines up.

Exercise extreme caution when drilling your fridge. I know for a fact the the 4912 has a freon line in the top about 7" from the back. It runs all the way across.

My wife is talking about finishing our basement over winter while she's recovering from delivering our first-born.

We spent the past couple of weekends out furniture shopping. While we looked around, she pointed out a few bars for the basement. She even asked me if any of them would be conducive to kegging beers and suggested maybe we build an in-wall system.

If only we weren't moving in a few years. If only this was our "forever" home. Still, it's nice that she's starting to support my new hobby.

Just one freon line?? I'm looking at doing me up one of these bad boys, don't want to kill it. :D Where abouts did you drill your hole. Thanks

hodgepodge said:
Just one freon line?? I'm looking at doing me up one of these bad boys, don't want to kill it. :D Where abouts did you drill your hole. Thanks

Yes only one line in the top. The other sides, I can't account for. The line runs across the top, about 7" from the back edge. I drilled mine about 1/2" toward the front from dead center.

I'll post some pics soon, but theres not much to see. It's a little fridge with a draught tower on it.

I just converted a Sanyo 4912 last night and it turned out great. Here is the link to my pictures: Sanyo 4912

For the freon line, I smeared water all over the top of the fridge, plugged it in, and watched for a line of water to evaporate. I marked it with masking tape and measured the center of the top to the line and had about 4 1/2 to 5 inches, so I knew I was okay to put the tower dead center.

Good job Tony! The setup looks great and the pics were nice. What are your inaugural brews going to be?

Wild

ok, so maybe i'm just cheap ;) lol

i ripped apart an old fridge that was being thrown out here in albany and kept everything together, ie. didn't disconnect *any* lines except the power. so i ended up with the compressor, radiator thinger from the back and the cooling unit which was an alum. sheet with the freon line affixed to it
then i found myself an old metal kitchen 'cabinet'/mini-pantry thing-a-ma-jig that was being tossed from the school i work in, gutted that and lined it with 3mil plastic, then 1" thick house foam insulation then more plastic and dropped in a tupperware style bottom ('custom' made with a dremel and some patience)
got some hardwood panelling from lowe's and used the same top material i had used to make my mini bar top, so it all matches nice.

total spent ~ $60 to make things look nice, not including the corny keg stuff obviously
just thought i'd throw that out there for other folks that cant have a nice, new fridge to work with (mine was a full sized giant from the 70's, *nasty* both inside and out)

wild said:
Good job Tony! The setup looks great and the pics were nice. What are your inaugural brews going to be?

Wild

I made my "Pawtucket Patriot" last night, an American Pale ale and i'm getting ready right now to make a Shipyard Export clone.

Born Brewing Co. said:
Very nice Tony. Pics were very helpful to walk us through the process. You make it look very easy to do.

I found that it was indeed very easy. I read all the other instructions other people had written, especially the lower shelf reversion, and just too my time. If you can find the freon line, then the hard part is over in my opinion.

The only other hard part is that I should have made a couple brews two or three weeks ago, then I wouldnt have to wait to try it out.

On a side note, I ordered a couple of TapTopper handles for it. They are clear acrylic, 6" high and about 4 " wide, and it allows for adding labels. I love making awesome labels for my brews, and it will be a nice touch.

you should be able to find what you need for the conversion at www.beveragefactory.com"

I highly recommend not buying anything from the Beverage Factory. Two out of three of my orders were nothing but trouble. I won't do business with them again. They buy most of their parts from www.micromatic.com anyway. Micromatic has MUCH better prices, ship faster and overall better service.

hot_cook10 said:
I... They buy most of their parts from www.micromatic.com anyway. Micromatic has MUCH better prices, ship faster and overall better service.

I dont know about "The Beverage Factory", but "Micromatic" is awesome. These people ship out like lightning! I have bought kegging supplies from them and received my orders in a couple days only. Plus, they are experts in beer dispensing and actually have classes on it.

Back