No more big beers for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckrogers71

Reaction score
Over the past few months I have had Victory Moonglow and Storm King Stout on tap. Very yummy, but very intoxicating. I found that I was drinking and just getting druck rather than enjoying the beverages. I have decided to go the route of lower ABV beers.

Next up Hopfish IPA by Flying Fish.

Anyone else get this way?

Yeah, my problem is that I drink at the same pace regardless of the beverage: water, milk, soda, beer, whisky.....I drink it all fast. I am physically unable to drink slowly. I try to, but it no worky.

So yeah, big beers, while delicious, get me into trouble pretty quickly. I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 per drinking session.

Yeah, my problem is that I drink at the same pace regardless of the beverage: water, milk, soda, beer, whisky.....I drink it all fast. I am physically unable to drink slowly. I try to, but it no worky.

So yeah, big beers, while delicious, get me into trouble pretty quickly. I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 per drinking session.

ahh somone w/ the same problem as me. I drink everything the same way:mug:

ahh somone w/ the same problem as me. I drink everything the same way:mug:

+2 on that, i dont pound drinks like some of my friends, but on average i drink every thing much faster than most. it can be dangerous if your not paying attention!

+2 on that, i dont pound drinks like some of my friends, but on average i drink every thing much faster than most. it can be dangerous if your not paying attention!

I have a problem of drinking on an empty stomach as well. I will down about 5 cups of coffee on the weekends then get started on my day. Then I realize that I have the shakes, so I will have a coors or something to take the edge off. Then I forget to eat lunch, a buddy comes over to watch the ball game, I start downing Storm Kings and the rest is forgotten history:cross::drunk:

I make small beers for various reasons, low intoxication included. It's much tougher to make a good small beer, but you can drink them with meals & not have a problem. Since I've been doing a lot of post-snowstorm chainsaw work lately, that's important.

The barleywines are strictly after dinner brews.

You're never going to be done with snowstorm cleanup are ya david?

My plan in the future is to have a haus ale on tap at all times - something light that goes well with everything and doesn't knock you on your ass at all times (trying BM's centennial this weekend). And something with a kick - say a deadguy clone or the like.

I have a bunch of kegs for a reason... right?

Back