No Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout Man

Reaction score
It has been 1.5 days sense fermentation started and the yeast is still going insane but I am getting no krausen.

My recipe for an Alt style beer is:

5 lbs pale lme
2.5 lbs munich malt
.5 lbs crystal 20L
.5 lbs vienna malt

2 oz tettnanger at 60 min

wlp029 germanale/kolsch yeast 1 gal starter

The only difference in my setup was that I used a nylon grain bag instead of the cheaper muslin bag. I did manage to burn a small hole in it though. I used potassium carbonate and calcium sulfate in the mini mash.

The starter used the same lme used in the main batch and I got no krausen from it either. Could it be that the lme is weird? I believe the supplier for the LME at the brew store I go to is Muntons.

It has been 1.5 days sense fermentation started and the yeast is still going insane but I am getting no krausen.

My recipe for an Alt style beer is:

5 lbs pale lme
2.5 lbs munich malt
.5 lbs crystal 20L
.5 lbs vienna malt

2 oz tettnanger at 60 min

wlp029 germanale/kolsch yeast 1 gal starter

The only difference in my setup was that I used a nylon grain bag instead of the cheaper muslin bag. I did manage to burn a small hole in it though. I used potassium carbonate and calcium sulfate in the mini mash.

The starter used the same lme used in the main batch and I got no krausen from it either. Could it be that the lme is weird? I believe the supplier for the LME at the brew store I go to is Muntons.
You say the yeast is going insane, I take that it looks as it is boiling in the fermenter? If so no worries Stout man, wait 2 to 3 weeks and check it with a hydrometer, wait 2 or 3 days and check again, if the numbers match you are golden, bottle or keg, sometimes you dont get much krausen, hope this helps.:mug:

I got off the phone with the brew store. The most likely thing is that it is the yeast I am using. I really don't know though, everything else seems to be fine.

I got off the phone with the brew store. The most likely thing is that it is the yeast I am using. I really don't know though, everything else seems to be fine.

If all else seems fine, dont touch it! Im no expert but ive already heard horror stories about people thinking something small is wrong, and making it worse int he process. Let er go and see what happens!

I think the brew store was right. I am getting ready to do an alt and was trying to decide what yeast to use. I found this here when looking up wlp029. Sounds like he had a similar experience with this yeast. Also, there was a thread here on this very yeast strain.

Latest posts

Back