No Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
OK being this is only my 2nd all grain batch I'm wondering if its unusual not to have a head of Krausen forming ? Didn't have it in my 1st batch either. Its fermenting nice and vigorous as best as I can tell. Curious as to whether or not this is indicative to a problem that I need to address. I always had a nice Krausen forming during extract and partial batches so Im wondering whats going on here.:confused:

Also its a pumpkin ale with a starting gravity of 1.054 pitched with Safale US-05 at 75 degrees

I did my first pumpkin ale and my second all grain yesterday. My first was a wheat beer it had a huge krausen on it, and fermented very aggressivly even though I kept it at around 65 degrees. My pumpkin ale is fermenting well and has noticeably less krausen. When I checked on it first thing this morning 9hrs after pitching the airlock was bubbling well but no krausen but 30 minutes later one had formed although it was not as dense as the hefe. The bubbles are larger and not as tightly packed.

I can't help you directly but I do notice a lot less krausen on this beer. However what was your mash temp and ingredient bill. I guess that head on your beer is the same as krausen CO2 off gassing reacting with the proteins to make foam. So the usual head retention aiding things would lead to more krausen when brewing???

Clem

Ok wait 3 days and take a gravity reading... only open the airlock after 3 days to check the gravity. If no significant drop in gravity then repitch.

One thing I forgot to mention is I had a strange reaction when I hydrated the dry yeast. I placed it in 2 cups of room temp water and covered and when I was ready for it 20 min later it had foamed up and was growing in the cup....Ive often did this wil dry yeast and have never seen this happen.

Just looked at it again, and within the last hour there is a greater amount of activity going on in the carboy and some slight forming of bubbles on top. So I guess its a wait and see process.

I'm using US-05 on a batch now and it took 36hrs to show any krausen with a litte CO2 pressure after about 12-16 hrs, but it's really just now taking off and I pitched at midnight on Sat. Longest wait I've had for a yeast in a while. I rehydrated according to the directions on fermentis website to the tee too. It looks great now though.

BTW, 75 is a little warm. Any chance you can put it in a water bath or swamp cooler to get it in the mid 60's, or has it cooled since pitching?

I'm using US-05 on a batch now and it took 36hrs to show any krausen with a litte CO2 pressure after about 12-16 hrs, but it's really just now taking off and I pitched at midnight on Sat. Longest wait I've had for a yeast in a while. I rehydrated according to the directions on fermentis website to the tee too. It looks great now though.

BTW, 75 is a little warm. Any chance you can put it in a water bath or swamp cooler to get it in the mid 60's, or has it cooled since pitching?

It has cooled since pitching its at 68 degrees

Back