No krausen or airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitz87

Reaction score
Hi,
I tried my first all grain today. I had a incident with my glass carboy so I am using a 5 gal water jug I drilled a hole in and shoved a airlock in. It has been 5 hours since I pitched the smack pack, it is a 2.5 gal batch Eliot Ness clone. I am worried maybe I didn't do the mash right. I used about 3.5 gal of water for the initial mash and let it sit at about 155 to 160 for about a hour and did a fly sparge to get to a total of about 4 gal and boiled off about a gallon. Is it possible I didn't get enough sugars out of my mash?

Hi,
I tried my first all grain today. I had a incident with my glass carboy so I am using a 5 gal water jug I drilled a hole in and shoved a airlock in. It has been 5 hours since I pitched the smack pack, it is a 2.5 gal batch Eliot Ness clone. I am worried maybe I didn't do the mash right. I used about 3.5 gal of water for the initial mash and let it sit at about 155 to 160 for about a hour and did a fly sparge to get to a total of about 4 gal and boiled off about a gallon. Is it possible I didn't get enough sugars out of my mash?

5 hours? That's way too early to even think about fermentation starting.

The yeast acclimates, then reproduces, and then gets busy with fermentation. by tomorrow morning, some activity might be shown but make sure that the temperature is about 65 degrees- no higher!

Also, buy a hydrometer and start taking gravity readings before and after fermentation..

I just had one that was really slow, these guys are right, more time. A lot more time. Try looking on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok, I did do an all grain kit once and i had to set up a blow off that night I suppose that was kinda of what I was expecting.
The recipe I am loosely following said to have it at about 48 degrees for primary fermenting. I read that the cooler the temp for like a lager could take up to 72 hours is that what I am looking at then. That kit was a brown ale this is Eliot Ness clone which is considered a vienna lager could that be the difference I am experiencing?
Thanks for the responses!

Sometimes an ale fermentation might kick off in a matter of a few hours, but not always. It's actually more common for it to take about 12-24 hours on an ale with a healthy pitching rate and proper fermentation temps. With that said, it's still not uncommon for it to take even longer than that sometimes. You are indeed correct that a lager will move a lot slower.

Back