No hops during the boil, only whirlpool & dry hopping...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
According to BeerSmith, if I only add hops during steep/whirlpool and dry hopping, I can add quantities of hops that I've never been able to before and still keep the bitterness at the levels I like. I want through the roof flavor and aroma, and yet not go above 70 IBUs on a Pacific Northwest style IPA. My previous attempts have resulted in bitterness too high, or flavor/aroma too low for my preferences.

Who can relate? Who has tried this successfully? Am I crazy for thinking of trying this?

I can relate .....but I still used some Noble hops , nice easy bittering ,more of a smooth spice hop, I use half an oz for a 60 min. Boil and an ounce at 5 min. then....this batch , a 3 oz dry hop for my porter. It worked well but porters are built for this (hide alpha's well). Saaz for the boil Hallertauer for the last 5min. And Magnum for dry hopping

Back