No hop bags = better hop utilization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just tapped my APA "45" and it friggin hit me like a freight train. Completely over the top with hops. I don't like it at all! I didn't use hop bags and just threw the pellets in. I've done similar IBU recipes before and none were this obnoxious.

I'm getting a little frustrated with this trial and error crap, it's ALWAYS something different.

When using BeerAlchemy, unbagged hop additions provide slightly higher IBUs than bagged. I would suggest shipping the keg to my house ASAP. I'm pretty sure it would be the right thing to do.

Why would you be mad if you getting better utilization? Just adjust down a bit on the next recipe. I know it pisses me off when I can save a few bucks.:rolleyes:

Well, people claim better utilization with no bag. But, your IBU calcuations should have been correct, if anything your other beers were showing lower IBUs because of the bag.

Whatever you calcualted, should be pretty close to what you got this time. Using a bag, you may have been getting less. Some people claim this is true... I have never used a bag, but the idea makes some sense, especially if the hops expand and become somewhat packed in there.

It's hard to believe that hop bags would change the utilization enough to take a beer from drinkable (when made with bags) to "obnoxious" (without).

When was the beer brewed? What was the recipe?

Back