No head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcross13

Reaction score
It was mentioned that I might have head retention problems with this recipe. Which I do. Looking for suggestions. I am guessing remove the protein rest all together?

4 lbs wheat
2 lbs pilsner 2 row

Step
20 min 120 degrees
30 min 135 degrees
15 min 145 degree
45 min 155 degrees

mash out 170 degrees ten minutes.

Sparge with 170 degree water.

.5 oz Tettnang hops 60 min

.25 oz Saaz hops 10 min
.25 oz Saaz hops 5 min
.5 oz Saaz hops steep

Wyest 3056 bavarian

130-140* is the head killing range for protein rests. If appropriate, I'll rest between 110-120, then jump to sacc temp.

Do you really need protein rest? Throw in some flaked barley.

Just playing with methods. SO i'd keep the first rest and jump to the sac. How much flaked barley to increase head. Looking for the thick frothy head a Hef should have.

Just playing with methods. SO i'd keep the first rest and jump to the sac. How much flaked barley to increase head. Looking for the thick frothy head a Hef should have.

Wheats have more protein so im not seing the reason for the rest unless its undermodified malt-maybe something im missing here with understanding rests.You want it cloudy and bready anyway.Dont rests just help clear it?I know rests can help with long shelf stability as well.

I've never found flaked barley necessary for head retention. Just use 50%+ wheat malt and it should have plenty of head retention.

Also, Hefes should be carbed between 3-4 volumes. 3 is the high end of what you can safely do in a normal longneck. If you have some champagne bottles you can go higher. More carbonation will make the head much more substantial.

Look up "takesomeadvice" on YouTube...gives some GREAT advice about head retention...

...but in all seriousness, most head retention/lacing issues stem from glassware up keep. remember putting nose grease or ear wax in your beer in college to make the head of your natty light go down? beer heads don't like lipids. lipids make heads disappear on contact. make sure your beer mugs are nice and clean. i don't use soap (part lipid) on my beer mugs. i usually only use warm water and occasionally some ethanol and i get great head/lacing in my beers.

How old?Give it some time.I go from good head retention to massive sometimes with time.Clean glasses,well rinsed?

How is the body of the beer? Is the body fine, and it just lacks head? Or does it seem a bit thin as well? That would indicate too long of a protein rest.

I would skip one or the other of your first two rests. I'd probably skip the 30 min at 135. That one is flirting with the upper range of the proteases so you've basically done a 50 min p-rest. 20 min at 120 is the longest I would ever go and my beers have great head.

What are you looking to get out of the step at 135?

My normal routine is a p-rest, then a beta-amylase rest in the mid-140's and then an alpha-amylase rest at 158 - 160 followed by a mash out.

Second rest was an acid rest. But the body of the beer is fine. Previous hef issues were corrected. I was thinking I was flirting with decreased head retention I just didn't think it would be none. There is no head retention what so ever. It goes down like a whore or Budweiser.

Second rest was an acid rest. But the body of the beer is fine. Previous hef issues were corrected. I was thinking I was flirting with decreased head retention I just didn't think it would be none. There is no head retention what so ever. It goes down like a whore or Budweiser.

Whoa, 135* is not an acid rest. Acid rests are around 95*.

So yeah I messed up that one. So there definitely no need for the 135. Not sure how that came up.

Back