No head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prjectmayhem

Reaction score
So after several brews, the common complaint i get from myself (and others) is that there's no head at all on my beers. i have used carafoam or maltodextrin in every boil but i dont seem to get any benefit from them. Does anyone else experience very little head from bottled homebrews? Would a longer boil help this issue? Any other suggestions? Thanks

I use one whirlfloc tablet per 5G boil. should i cut it to half a tab? or cut it out all together? seems to be a strong debate on its effectiveness/necessity. the bottles do end up fully carbed, even overly so occasionally with still no head. FG usually around 1.011...

Any chance the glasses could have some soap residue on them from the dishwasher? That can kill foam retention. It might not be the beer that is the problem.

I'll check the glasses, hadn't considered that. thanks

I'd suggest doing a "salt scrub" on a beer glass. make a paste of salt and water, and scrub your glass with it. Then rinse well. Pour a beer and see if it's better.

Never use soap on your barware, and never put beer glasses in the dishwasher!

What cleanser is best besides soap after the salt scrub? I've have always hand-washed with dish soap but am having the same issue...

I use one whirlfloc tablet per 5G boil. should i cut it to half a tab? or cut it out all together? seems to be a strong debate on its effectiveness/necessity. the bottles do end up fully carbed, even overly so occasionally with still no head. FG usually around 1.011...

My final volume is 8.3 gallons - I use 2 whrilfloc tabs 15 minutes before flame out.

No problem with head retention ever.

I ALWAYS use Carapils - at the rate of approx. 3% It's very inexpensive and supposed to enhance head retention.

:confused: fully carbed but no head/foam how long are you letting them sit after bottling.

Use a plastic cup (disposable party kind). Clear preferred. Those tend to create a ton of head/bubbles due to the rough surface. If you get no head from that, then it is your beer. If you get head, then it is the glass.

I would suggest shifting the grains you use, but it seems you are doing what you need to. Does the carbonation look right? Lack of head could be due to lack of strong carbonation. Give the pour a bit more of a "vigorous" pour, from higher and/or splashing. See what happens.

Experiment, give us the results.

Plastic party cups to the rescue. Turns out it was the glasses and not the brewer (wooo!) that was killing my booze foam. Just an easy pour into a cup that has not been through the dishwasher has also reaffirmed that soap/residue was the culprit...Now then--is it possible to do a salt scrub on any glasses that have been through the dishwasher and restore them to head retaining cups, or are they screwed for good?

Yay, the plastic cup idea worked! I learned that when pouring into those and got too much head (why would I ever complain?).

I would take a clean cloth and wash the insides of your glasses with warm water, no soap or anything to remove the residue. Not certain about the salt scrub, never tried that. Play around, if it works let us know! Just glad that your brews are good, rather have to solve a glass issue than a brew issue.

Yay, the plastic cup idea worked! I learned that when pouring into those and got too much head (why would I ever complain?).

I would take a clean cloth and wash the insides of your glasses with warm water, no soap or anything to remove the residue. Not certain about the salt scrub, never tried that. Play around, if it works let us know! Just glad that your brews are good, rather have to solve a glass issue than a brew issue.

Anyone tried soaking "hazy" glasses in vinegar overnight ?
I have a couple that won't come clean, even using a scrubbie.

I run my beer glassware in dishwasher rinseaid tuned off 1/2 quart vinegar China setting my shortest time and dry them by hand.......got to treat them right you're putting beer in them...:D

Latest posts

Back