No head retention and fizzy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
In late Sept I brewed the Caribou Slobber extract kit from Northern Brewer. Everything went well and I kegged it over three weeks ago. I poured a glass last night and I noticed that it seems very fizzy and it has absolutely no head retention. I think I may have over carbbed it because I had surgery and I neglected the beer for about 2 weeks. I've been bleeding off excess co2 over the past few days but it really hasn't helped though. OG was 1.062, FG was 1.012 full 5.5 gallon boil. I followed the recipe to the T except I added about 10ozs of some local honey to the boil at about 10 min before whirlpool. One other thing I can think of is that I ran out of propane during steeping so I left my speciality grain in the kettle (2.5 gallons) for about 25 min over the recommended 30 min in the recipe. The water wasn't too hot obviously since I ran out of propane but it does taste like it has some tannins, though I guess that can be carbonic bite. The only other thing I can think of is an infection, it does seem a bit thin.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's just over carbbed but I would think I would have too much head at that point. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

A brown ale won't have a ton of head usually unless you add wheat or carapils to the recipe. I carb mine about 8psi. I have found that the longer it is carbed the better the head is. Check your recipe, but the long steep certainly did not hurt the brew.

:mug:

EROK said:
A brown ale won't have a ton of head usually unless you add wheat or carapils to the recipe. I carb mine about 8psi. I have found that the longer it is carbed the better the head is. Check your recipe, but the long steep certainly did not hurt the brew.

:mug:

What would cause no head retention? Could it be the honey?

i think you need a higher FG in order to get more head retention. powdered malto dextrin should do the trick.

if i'm correct, residual sugar has a lot to do with head retention.

Dogphish said:
i think you need a higher FG in order to get more head retention. powdered malto dextrin should do the trick.

if i'm correct, residual sugar has a lot to do with head retention.

Yeah, too thin prob because of the honey. So the malto dextrin will add body and help with head retention? Will it also balance the fusel alcohols? Do I add it to the corney?

you add malto dextrin to the boil. you can add at the beginning or end. it just needs to fully dissolve into the wort.

fusel alcohol is caused by bad fermentation techniques. i'm not sure why you think you have it or what you could be doing to cause it.

malto dextrin is unfermentable sugar. it adds mouth feel/body/sweetness.

I have a braggot done that I've been nursing the past few weeks and indeed it has no head whatsoever, if that helps at all.

(by nursing I mean drinking... ALOT)

Back