No Head on the Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmcabee

Reaction score
Its been 12 days in the bottle and there is absolutely no head on it when I pour it. I know its got a few days but I've always had head when I cracked one even a week out to check status. What do you thinks going on.

I used cubes in each bottle. I was not able to pasturize my bottles, though I washed them well. Could that be it. Maybe the yeast was killed.

You said there was no head, but was the beer carbonated when you drank it? Mine had pretty much zero head for the first couple weeks, but were carbonated. I noticed with my porter, around the fourth week, it started showing a better head. So it probably just needs a couple more weeks. It's really hard to hold off, but everything I've read and heard says that beer just keeps getting better the longer you let it condition.

Maybe you should name this batch "the headless horseman" or... the "headless porter" or something.

What did you use to clean your bottles? Maybe there was some residue? I understand that dish soap will kill foam and I'm sure there are other things that will as well. I think that the "jet dry" stuff that prevents water spots is supposed to be a total foam killer. I'd imagine some dish soaps may have a bit of that stuff added to it as well...

No its completely flat. I will just wait and see how it goes. Thank you for your advice.

What about carbonation drops? They go into each bottle. Never used them before, but wouldn't that solve the lack of yeast activity or fermentables in the bottle.

I would wait another week and if nothing, rerack it, prime it and throw another full packet of dry yeast in, then bottle right away.

Maybe the yeast were dead from too high of an alcohol content too, so take that into consideration when choosing a yeast to carb with. What was your ABV?

The idea of reracking ~two cases of beer seems nightmarish to me. Between fears of infection and oxidation, and the massive hassle, I just can't see it being worth it. I think the carbonation drops idea is pretty great. All you'd have to do is open all the bottles, drop in the tabs, and recap. Of course, if the yeast is the problem, they might not condition properly. It could be that they're just really weakened at this point, and you might just need a lot more time for them to work.

carbonation drop, I believe, require live yeast to do their thing. I am pretty sure they are just portioned sugar.

Back