No head on the beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
Hello there i just got done brewing a batch of irish stout beer from coopers and it turn out really good but theres no or little head on the beer.
What are some things that people use to get good head on a beer? Because on my next batch of beer i would like to have some head on it instead of none.

I'm just a rookie at this so I can't help in terms of anything that you can add to your wort to give it a better head. BUT, I did buy a video on homebrewing not long ago and they guys that made the video opened up two beers and poured them both into a glass. One beer had been brewed two months before and had virtually no head whatsoever. The dude said it tasted good, but not great and needed more time in the bottle. The second beer, however, was 2 years old and had a gigantic head on it. Dude said that the longer you wait to open the better it will taste and the larger the head will become.

If you cleaned your bottles or brewing gear with soap, it will cause depletion of the head. The soap decreases the surface tension and thereby decreases head retention.
-Jefe-

There are several things. The first is the glassware. If you use detergent or use a rinse agent like Jet Dry in a dishwasher, those will kill the head of a beer fast.

The other thing to make a great long lasting head is choice of ingredients. Steeping grains especially make a big difference. I'm not sure a canned kit will develop a great head, even after plenty of time in the bottle, but time does help.

crystal/caramel malt it supposed to help as is wheat and flaked barley I think. but first make sure the beer has bottle conditioned long enough (this timing varies quite a bit from one beer to the next) also make sure you use clean bottles when bottling and a clean glass when pouring, the slightest amount of oil or grease or even soap residue can destroy head retention.

carapils usually does a good job. someone will ring in with a better answer though

I think flaked oats do too, not sure.

k thank you guys. I used easy step i think its called for cleaning my gear and bottles.
i didnt use any soap or anything just the easy step stuff. i had it in the primary for two weeks and then racked to a secondary for a week and half and now its in the bottles for three days.

I dont think i will use a secondary again next time when im brewing beer. Would the racking to the secondary have anything to do with the beer not having nough head?

Not at all. The reason is because the beer was only been in the bottles for three days. Wait 18 more days minimum, and then chill one in the fridge for 24 hours at least. Then try one. If it's good, put some others in the fridge. If not, wait a few more days and then do the same thing. At least 24 hours in the fridge, after at least three weeks in the bottles kept at least 70 degrees.

k thanks im going to keep them in the bottles for two to three weeks just was wondering if the secondary was a problem but isnt. I was wondering because most of the yeast looked like it was left in the primary when i racked it into the secondary.

Back